Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> Improving the nigerian retail markets

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 26.02.2014, 03:01

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

Hi

The nigerian retail markets are not very good. We hope to improve this situation gradually by supplying reasonably priced products to attract stores and restaurants. To make it happen we are launching a development program:
http://virtonomics.com/mary/forum/forum_new/101/topic/104128/view

We hope to achieve:
*Improved retail markets
*Higher wealth levels

Input on our ambitions and strategy will be very much appreciated. We hope for discussion in this thread, so we can improve the program as we go along.

BR,
Mo   

Message list:  

12.03.2015, 18:01

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Single corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

@ CWalen:

Unfortunately, from my point of view, i found the exact opposite to be true regarding your statements, it somewhat reminds me of the trojan horse:

- Higher tech may absorb slightly higher electricity cost but i haven't noticed that -  the factory's higher output quantity offsets it. Plus, Higher quality = larger profit potential so,  higher electricity cost widen the disadvantage for the new player more than a large producer.

- Its much easier for a large /wealthy producer to move production because of the cost whilst the admin load already limits new player's expansion per region massively.

- Higher electricity increases prime-cost (CTI) which can't be offset by lower profit margins anymore (if its already low) and creates effective, additional cost below the line. The thinner the margins the more this will hurt.

- these low-cost low-qualification countries are already a second choice for the larger company - because the lower electricity cost are offset by high salaries (due to high qualification requirements).

My conclusion is that electricity hikes will reduce the competitiveness and opportunities for smaller companies and thus work right into the hand of the "large, evil Dominators" To you 

13.03.2015, 10:23

Cwalen
Three years with Virtonomics

Yeah, I was sort of hoping it would work.

And honestly, who knows where the energy price will end up.

Point based oil/coal power certainly wont have many adherents. Trash burning will probably have all of us larger players getting into it, so that may effect the price.

Other than that, it'll keep creeping up, and at ten times it's current level it will be effecting the few people who have technologies in the 30's and higher.

That's still a long time away, and with any luck I'll be running higher techs myself then, so I am sort of arguing against my own interests.

I think you do know that for low tech industries, power is at most a few percent of overall costs.

Your domination is secure, and who knows, if we get the big evil dominator’s foot off the head of the up and coming players, there might be some competition to make all those 0's and 1's actually mean something.

Well

19.03.2015, 06:00

Last time edited : 19.03.2015, 06:07

Wonson
Seven years with Virtonomics
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

Woke up this morning and felt like political again. Just noticed Nigeria region now receives $9,771,359,746.41 from country, and budget deficit is now 0. Time to jump in the command centre one more time?
(Hope this is not another morningside rubbish from me.) 

19.03.2015, 10:54

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Wonson
Woke up this morning and felt like political again. Just noticed Nigeria region now receives $9,771,359,746.41 from country, and budget deficit is now 0. Time to jump in the command centre one more time?
(Hope this is not another morningside rubbish from me.)

This was caused by the gas stations bug, looks like the admins just removed the incomes from player accounts, but the world budget remains unchanged. So, they are receiving those incomes as long as that fund has reserves. We don't know how much will they last. The region keeps having that negative balance. Are you sure you (or anyone else) might want to step in?

The incinerators would be safer, I guess... 

21.03.2015, 18:19

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

I really like Wonson's suggestion and have already started to look for a candidate, for Guinea too.

Higher tariffs for cities in those regions will make it possible to operate those incinerators profitably. More incinerators in the cities could save the regions for a lot of cash in the future. I hope to find broad support in the community for this, but we'll see.

Hope to get your help starting elections, RC, if we find sufficient support on the councils! 

21.03.2015, 19:08

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

I'm terrified of starting elections there, as I would have to be the candidate from my party, and if something "goes wrong" and I get elected, I would have to remain in the seat at least 10 days before quitting. I roll! Let's hope that the buggy wealth lasts long enough anyway. But yeah, I can start them if you find a long term governor for the region.

About the electric cost to promote incinerators, this would also have a negative side. By rising the electric cost for cities, the region would be saved from that blackhole, but the cities would be the ones taking the expenses instead (which considering the electric cost from the region was $10, it would be quite a lot if they have to pay more for it now). The cities would be paying the electric cost from the city grid with their own wealth, that we know it's not too high due to the lack of incomes (rents from retailing and such). If that were the case, it would be advised to improve retailing quite a lot in all cities. Just commenting. 

28.04.2015, 11:43

Last time edited : 29.04.2015, 13:15

Mike1
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Single corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
m:
Mico Inc

Rogue_Cat
I'm terrified of starting elections there.

i wish you never did: soon everyone pays a triple amount for electricity, contributions to the development of the region and health were cut and finally the governor ran off.  

What a pitiful example of how personal interests of a few ("evil dominators"?) drive the world's poor further into the abyss.

28.04.2015, 14:06

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Mike1
Rogue_Cat
I'm terrified of starting elections there.

i wish you never did: soon everyone pays a triple amount for electricity, contributions to the development of the region and health were cut and finally the governor ran off.  

What a shameful example of how personal interests of a few ("evil dominators"?) drive the world's poor further into the abyss.

I haven't talked to them personally, but I suspect that some members of the party were unable to cover the loss from the budget hole. As it is asset-based, some members with high assets but low cash might be in troubles. But again, I haven't asked any of them about how was that going. Not sure if reducing the health level will have any positive effect on the region budget (it will if that leads to lower population level), and the electric rise will counter it a bit, but the extra burden will go to the cities now (only for electricity for the city itself).

Anyway, looks like little can be done from city or region level right now. With the current electric cost increasing, the only way to reduce it is by using those charity garbageolic centrals. They will save money for the region, but the cities will have to take the cost (except for some cases, have you seen the charity work of César in Valencia? Ridiculously).

I'm feeling that all previous attemps to help Nigeria have been a complete failure. If I have to lose money there, I would prefer it to be with the centrals, that I know for sure they will be saving $135 per MWh, rather than all the other failed attemps. 

28.04.2015, 14:52

Last time edited : 28.04.2015, 17:31

el09sjs
Twelve years with Virtonomics Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor The tender collider, VII-XV places
m:
Bio.

Mike1
soon everyone pays a triple amount for electricity, contributions to the development of the region and health were cut and finally the governor ran off

- Electricity tariffs will only rise to $15 for all industries except Agriculture.
 The rise in tariff s was in line with other countries in the African region and does preserve the competiveness of Nigeria.  
 Also a $5 rise in world energy price has already placed more burden on the poor people of Nigeria.

- Contributions to the development of the region and health were cut by 5%.
 The measure was taken to reduce theses budgetary items for the short term until Nigeria had a more sustainable future
 and was deemed to have little impact.

- My term of Governor of Nigeria was only on a short term basis (up until after the October update).

As the former Governor of Nigeria I would to highlight what I was able to achieve up to the point I left office:

- Revenues for energy costs increased from $0.7bn to $2.2bn.

- Electrical consumption down from 77M MWh to 62M MWh.

- Expenses for energy consumed down from $11.2bn to $9.3bn.

- Budget deficit reduced from $7.8bn to $3.8bn.

So now the world's poorest aren't quite so poor because of these significant achievements. 

28.04.2015, 16:23

Last time edited : 28.04.2015, 16:24

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

I suspect that Mike's post was just for "poking" us a bit. I roll! An example with my few active large factories in Nigeria, the previous electric cost would be one third less than current one:

Whiskey factory:
2 533 MWh x $15.00 = $37 998.31
Output = 278 321 units.
Electric cost per unit = [$0,13]652692394752821382504374445335
Previous cost = [$0,09]1017949298352142550029162968898

Pasta factory:
1 024 MWh x $15.00 = $15 366.47
Output = 284 196 units.
Electric cost per unit = [$0,05]4069972835648636856254134470577
Previous cost = [$0,03]6046648557099091237502756313718

Dumplings factory:
1 830 MWh x $15.00 = $27 454.77
Output = 226 801 units.
Electric cost per unit = [$0,12]105224403772470139020551055771
Previous cost = [$0,08]0701496025149800926803673705142

Experimental dog food factory:
2 852 MWh x $15.00= $42 772.83
Output = 43 982 units.
Electric cost per unit = [$0,97]25076167523077622663817016052
Previous cost = [$0,64]83384111682051748442544677368

All of them use solar panels innovation, but the electric cost difference is less than $1 in all cases. Barely noticeable even for a cheapskate like myself. To you Even if you rise the selling price 1 extra buck, it will keep being competitive and having a wide margin. So, don't take it so literally. XD Relax, that minimal rise will help to counter the regional losses meanwhile.

P.S: Mike is personally taking care of the loses of a city there, so I doub he is worried about losing money to the electric cost increase. To you 

28.04.2015, 17:27

Last time edited : 28.04.2015, 17:32

el09sjs
Twelve years with Virtonomics Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor The tender collider, VII-XV places
m:
Bio.

Sorry did not mean to come across quite so raging!Oops!
I'll tone it down.

Point was say things had improved and might not be obvious to every one.Very we!

@Mike1 nothing personal and I am aware of all the good you are doing! 

28.04.2015, 19:25

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Well, when one get involved into improving a country, it becomes something personal you like it or not. Ridiculously So get used to it. It's quite easy to get carried away with stuff like this, To you it's the power, man, the power. 

29.04.2015, 00:38

mihero
Seven years with Virtonomics Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Hello guys!

I've been away from the game a bit and I just returned... I started catching up and I found this topic...

wtf! I do not know what to think, seriously... why are you doing this? it is an experiment? just fun?

Why we want to make Nigeria a wealthy country... It seems to me that is a good place to have cheap labor, and make the profit somewhere else... and that is just fine, this is just a game and having poor countries would be something beneficial for the companies that we are running.. I don't know I may be missing something here. It looks to me like a bit effort and I'm not sure what would be after... I mean, assuming that you achieve your goal... then what, then Core D'Ivoire or Guinea, or whatever would be the "New Nigeria" and then what?

Although I do not understand everything here I find the initiative interesting and crazy at the same time. And encourage you to keep the good work here I see a lot of effort and cooperative work around this initiative.

I wish you good luck! 

29.04.2015, 02:55

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

They alread are into Cote D'Ivoire and Guinea too. XD But I have no idea about their budget, I can just access the Nigerian info page. But I guess the case in Nigeria is much worse, due to the high population in cities.

About the NDP project, it seems to be almost forgotten. The new incinerators seems to provide a better choice to counter the electric costs than the strategy of taking it head-on with the profit tax and retailing plan. And there has been no news from the NDP plans for Nigeria for a long time. 

29.04.2015, 11:17

Last time edited : 3.05.2015, 17:56

Mike1
m:
Mico Inc

Nigeria has a huge population but despite low unemployment and high numbers of migrant workers,  wealth levels and thus buying power and salaries remain low … that all quenches retail.

As a major in Abuja i have increased worker qualification every virto-year, increased salaries occasionally to add oil to the retail market. After time, the effects show :

- Abuja has become a magnet for producers, largest amount of factories of any city in Nigeria reside here

- Abuja represents just about 5% of Nigerias population but contributes roughly 22% of the region’s income thru its stores and enterprises of the service sector

- Abuja has the highest wealth level of any city in Nigeria 

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> Improving the nigerian retail markets