Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> Improving the nigerian retail markets

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 26.02.2014, 03:01

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

Hi

The nigerian retail markets are not very good. We hope to improve this situation gradually by supplying reasonably priced products to attract stores and restaurants. To make it happen we are launching a development program:
http://virtonomics.com/mary/forum/forum_new/101/topic/104128/view

We hope to achieve:
*Improved retail markets
*Higher wealth levels

Input on our ambitions and strategy will be very much appreciated. We hope for discussion in this thread, so we can improve the program as we go along.

BR,
Mo   

Message list:  

23.02.2015, 02:54

StuCatz
Triple corporate chevron Nine years with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
StuCatz Ltd.

Hello ladies and gents,

I've recently set up shop in Nigeria and am looking to help out in any way.
I have a few retail shops, a warehouse and a trainer factory.
Any advice and support would be appreciated.

Let me know.

-S 

25.02.2015, 00:55

Last time edited : 25.02.2015, 00:59

Berill
Twelve years with Virtonomics
m:
Berill Corp.

Hi everyone.

What about new types of energy plants such as Incinerator(garbage) or Oil-fired power plant? Can they help with energy situation in Nigeria and how if can? 

25.02.2015, 02:36

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: bachelor Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Good question.  I'm opening up a few on the other realm to see how the economics work for them.  Hopefully better than coal fired plants. 

25.02.2015, 03:23

Last time edited : 25.02.2015, 09:29

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

I'm afraid that they are unlikely to help with the energy, just like what happened with the coal ones.

Even if the incinerators provided a large amount, the price the region charges for the energy is awfully low (from $5 to $10 per MWh). Players would have to produce and sell at that price or lower in order to prevent the region to spend the current $140 per MWh from the independent supplier. I don't have numbers yet, but I suspect that garbageolic energy will be more expensive to produce than that.

So, unless a lot of players would produce energy for charity for each city, or the number of players producing energy for the Emirates (most expensive energy tariffs) would increase in order to make the independent supplier lower prices, it is unlikely to cover the whole energy loss in Nigeria. Lagos is the city with more energy expenses (8.82 million MWh), followed by Ibadan (5.41 M) and Kano (4.67 M).

In theory, both ways would be possible to attain (with garbage alone), but we don't know if it would be possible to fully cover all the million MWh required, or the pollution expenses would be worse than what they fix. Time will say, but it might be worth to check this as a possibility. Sounds interesting...

*** EDIT and ADDED:
I just got the results of my first turn producing garbageolic energy. Ignoring wages, transport and equipment, the production and personel expenses were $2.652.485,64 for producing 16.800 MWh (in Spain). The prime cost per MWh appears as $108.05 (I've calculated $157.88, or $181.74 with all expenses except the equipment unit. No idea how does it calculate it. It is surprised).

So, by selling it for the max $40 per unit, the region is saving $1.680.000, while I'm losing around $2.381.301,89 (ignoring the cost of the equipment unit). So, a large incinerator at tech1 would produce 840.000MWh per day? Hey, with 10 of those the cost for Lagos is almost covered. To you Seriously, let's wait until having better garbage burning units and knowing the effects of better tech levels on the expenses. Pollution on the way! 

25.02.2015, 13:36

Last time edited : 25.02.2015, 14:16

Pyrex
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics
l:
ZION Group
m:
Zion Holdings

I think the cool thing about incenerators is that there is no penalty in using higher tech (as in coal plants which require higher quality coal).

It might work Well

Oil power plants also seem interesting since they polute less than coal and have a lower need for resources (depending on tech level of the mine). Also, since you have the refinery step, you can get higher quality fuel. 

26.02.2015, 10:31

Cwalen
Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics

Until we find the collective balls to raise the energy price in Nigeria, it's going to be economically devastated.

We can pay for it's shortfalls with cold hard cash, from what Rogue_cat is saying we can pay even more to generate power for the shortfall.

Given the amount of people who abuse Nigeria for it's cheap power, low wages, and low tarrifs. I'ld expect stiff resistance.

Retail restaurants and medical care are wide open to new players, Larger players management gets tied up in the factories.

110$ /mw H is still less than the independent supplier. Energy expenses are not high for anyone a few percent,10 percent for some businesses.

Three times the Nigerian energy cost will get the foot off it's economy's head. The players it will effect have more money than god already. On the down side they will also have a lot of votes.

I say it's time to try.

111$/MWH for Nigeria! 

26.02.2015, 18:43

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

This has been commented before, and we have virtually no way to take the problem from Governor level yet, and it gets even worse each virtoyear as the world price keeps rising.

As you might know, a Governor takes the expenses of the region from his own wallet (and/or his party's, depending on the political plataform) if the balance is negative. Considering that it is needed to have a Governor at least 10 days in the power there before resigning, it would mean losing 7 billion per day, for a total of 70 billion in best case, so he can rise the electric cost in $5 once (that if they coordinate it so it happens during VirtoOctober month, or else all changes get cancelled).

And electric plants won't be able to sell above the regional price for energy (which is the main setback), so the region will keep buying for $140 and reselling for $10. No one would be able to sell for more than $10, and the independent supplier currently buys it for $21, so imagine how screwed this thing is.

Once again, the only viable option would be attemping to solve the problem at city level first. And even this way, it will be a long long long way. The charity incinerators seem a possible way for starting, but be sure it is a moneysinker. But if you don't use centrals anywhere else, it can be a way to inflate the qualification requirements. The hard part right now is getting the equipment.

Also, about having higher energy costs, don't think that it would make too much difference for production costs. Check a couple of examples with some of my non-optimal factories in Nigeria:

Experimental dog food factory, uses solar panels (halved energy expenses):
Energy expenses: 2 768 MWh x 10.00$ = 27 684.68$
Produced units: 40.155
Electric cost per unit = 27.684,68 / 40.155 = [$0.68]944
Even at $100 per MWh the price would just increase around $7, for a product that costs $124.18 to produce.

Dumplings large factory, solar panels too:
Energy expenses: 1 830 MWh x 10.00$ = 18 303.18$
Produced units: 221.270
Electric cost per unit = 18.303,18 / 221.270 = [$0.08]271
At $100 per MWh the price would increase less than $0.90, current production cost $6.74.

The more you produce, the less you notice the electric production costs per unit. And given the wide margin the production costs have in Nigeria, it would be a minor increase. So, no need to be scared about having higher energy tariffs. Again, the problem is that it is currently unable to increase it. 

26.02.2015, 20:58

Last time edited : 26.02.2015, 20:58

Pyrex
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics
l:
ZION Group
m:
Zion Holdings

Totally agreed Rogue. Energy expenses is a problem for governments but not for industries.

I think governors should be able to increase the energy prices in bigger steps (as well as other parameters). 

27.02.2015, 02:04

Last time edited : 27.02.2015, 02:07

Wonson
Seven years with Virtonomics
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

Good to see these posts. Hope more people read these comments, so they will understand and forgive if power tariffs raises here and there Ridiculously 

27.02.2015, 09:25

Cwalen

The solution to the problem is easy.

Get elected, raise the price to at least 111.

150 would be nice.

The NDP has enough to generate a lot of power, at Cat's listed price.

Some of the top rankers will scream like little bitches when their profits shrink a bit.

They can still have low wages, 0 tariffs, and have no where better to go to.

They do have a lot of votes.

Let us list them.
Those that defy and oppress the Nigerian people, and the NDP. Those who wish to oppose us, those who wish to repress a whole nation for a few points of profit.

Everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZtzROiG5MM ...

Well

27.02.2015, 20:14

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Cwalen
The solution to the problem is easy.

Get elected, raise the price to at least 111.

150 would be nice.

The NDP has enough to generate a lot of power, at Cat's listed price.

Some of the top rankers will scream like little bitches when their profits shrink a bit.

They can still have low wages, 0 tariffs, and have no where better to go to.

They do have a lot of votes.

Let us list them.
Those that defy and oppress the Nigerian people, and the NDP. Those who wish to oppose us, those who wish to repress a whole nation for a few points of profit.

Everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZtzROiG5MM ...

Well
C

In my opinion, too aggressive for a charity campaign. I roll!

Remember the reasons one gets voices in a Council:
-Tax generation (profit and CTIE).
-Villas.
-Game points facilities (plantations, sawmills...)
-Electric centrals.
-Mayors in cities.

So, if they are leading the charts, be sure that it is because they are generating part of those taxes:
Factories = 2 300 556 899.65$, CTIE = 1 188 134 026.81$
Warehouses = 1 110 923 557.01$
Stores = 518 750 963.73$

And noting the centrals as a special case, 21 942 312.08$ (this is pure profit, no expenses of any kind for the region).

I guess it's not wise to define them as "opposition". I roll! After all, they pay their wages, which is better than a $0 unemployment subsidy.

And about the easy "get elected" part, any voluntary to burn 7 billion per day in order to raise the electric tariffs? To you Not so easy then, right? I guess the charity centrals are the best bet anyway. 

1.03.2015, 01:18

Cwalen

Well, half a bottle of clarified run and I do get a little aggressive. Really?.

However we have been doing the softly softly thing for how many years now?
Are we any closer to the goal?

I'll stump 100 000 000 000 Towards the effort.

It's not like we cannot time it right, get it done, and free Nigeria from oppression.

The question is who will oppose us in raising this great nation in order to make a few percent more profit.

If no one opposes the effort, it's simple.

Being a medium sized company myself, I know everyone who is doing well is not a heartless bastard.

Well

1.03.2015, 03:29

Last time edited : 2.03.2015, 09:01

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Remember that in Virtonomics, all Nigerians are just a bunch of zeros and ones, I roll! just like any other VirtoCitizen. Don't let it get you too carried away.

EDIT and ADD * The price went up 5 bucks again. Not enough player electricity producers yet. 

7.03.2015, 01:34

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: bachelor Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Oil power plants, imho, suck.

incinerators... I think can make them work!  I think they will still lose money, but not too bad.  If I subsidize them, I think I can change a country's economics.  Will experiment... 

8.03.2015, 04:20

Cwalen

Power prices are going to continue to rise.

Mike had a go at changing the trend and failed.

I believe the developers have made a wise decision to allow the price to skyrocket as it effects mostly the high tech producers who dominate the world with so little effort.

This allows smaller players a better chance to compete with lesser goods.

One of the reasons why I an so passionate about the NDP is that the artificially low prices in Nigeria for power, block this trend.

I am doing OK at tech level 19. In some industries I can match or better realm average, especially where there are production opportunities that have premium options, using coco for candy for example, or leather clothing. It doesn't do well for profit margins, but it does drive up qualification.

The top few players, not only each produce a hell of a lot more than I do, they do so at much higher tech levels. Just look at the market/production analysis. Time and time again there are the same few names producing large volumes of high quality goods.

Putting the power price up across the board, will hamper these players profitability.
It's sort of meaningless because they already have more money than god.
It will slow them down in being able to easily dispose of their entire production.

So it's not for the 0's and 1's in Nigeria, or the 0's and 1's that are my company.
It's for the up and coming players.

Without a path for new players to grow and have a chance to effect the world in meaningful ways we will loose them.

Without a few hundred players paying to release their qualification, the devs dont get the funds to justify advertising, or development.

The world shrinks. The big players power gets even more extreme, even mid level players loose the ability to grow in qualification and this world of 0's and 1's gets reduced to a handful of players, Visigoths crouching in the ruins of Rome.

Personally I'ld prefer to pay a little more for power.

Well

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> Improving the nigerian retail markets