Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics" -> Politics in Virtonomics

Discussions on our virtual business game, your ideas and game mechanics

Topic:

Topic created : 31.07.2012, 14:03

Last time edited : 11.07.2014, 12:27

diska
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Beauty set King of the Fields Citronom Virtonomics Philanthropist 1st class Shagreen, VII-XV places Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons The winner of the Breadwinner nomination of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition Planter
Holmes Pipe Dynamite Belgian chevron Jewelry Loupe Beauty set Perfume Dentist Sicilian olive
Italy Gold Italy Gold Shagreen, VII-XV places Six years with Virtonomics Fishing Pro Princely mansion Planter Landowner
Miner Helmet Award for helping other players
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Jewelry Loupe Beauty set King of the Fields King of the Fields Golden hook Golden hook Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Magical bonsai MBA diploma
One year with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Bronze bed-clothing Bronze underwear Estonian silver coin
l:
cnJDS
n:
Flaj Cokotlaj
m:
JDS
a:
Anna Ltd.

We have decided to dedicate Summer 2012 to politics. The sphere we are all undoubtedly good at. The one that influences your life even if you don't actively participate in it. The one that is believed to be the great art of compromise.

The political life of Virtonomics will begin with the introduction of Political parties and mayors.

The launch is planned for mid August. Here are some details about what's coming.

I. Political parties

The political life is mainly centered around parties, which are analogues to corporations (creation, joining, etc.). The purpose of political parties is to fund political campaigns and nominate candidates for elective offices of the Virtonomics government.

Each political party can choose its political platform . Political platform in Virtonomics is a kind of a "specialization" of the party which determines its internal policy of the distribution of costs and income, gives certain bonuses, imposes certain restrictions.

There is a popularity ranking for parties in each Virtonomics city where they are represented (villa). The ranking depends on the costs of political campaign of the party.

II. Mayors

The cities will be administrated by the elected mayors nominated by political parties.

Voting includes votes by members of parties and votes by citizens and lasts 2 days (we are thinking of making these 2 days regularly fall to Sunday-Monday) The votes of the parties are taken into account in proportion to the level of influence the parties have in the cities; the votes of private persons are taken into account in proportion to the income of their stores and enterprises of the services sector on the day of summing up the results.

After the elections the winner officially assumes the office for a term of 3 Virtonomics years. There is no limit to the allowed number of terms. You can be a mayor of several cities at once Yes There will be impeachments Well

Each city will have its own budget, which is going to be the mayor's responsibility (both: administrative and financial).

Income of the city budget includes:

• rent from premises;
  • part of the companies' costs for building and modernization;
  • assignments from regional budget;
  • municipal taxes and charges;
  • mayor's private assets (if the overall income is not enough to cover all the expenses)

Expenses:

• unemployment benefits;
  • office employees' salaries;
  • pensions, scholarships and other social payments;
  • educational programs;
  • Costs of city improvement and the maintenance of public order;
  • one-time municipal projects;
  • sponsorship from a mayor and/or his/her political party in case of city budget surplus.

A mayor can execute the following operations:

1. Change lease price per one square meter of office, commercial, storage, etc. premises;
2. Regulate tax rates and charges on municipal level;
3. Regulate the percentage of sponsorship payments of the political party;
4. Initiate major municipal projects - the sweetest part of the mayor’s rights which allows to change global characteristics of the cities: education and salary levels, population numbers, scientific breakthroughs of the city, etc.
5. Block for one turn the functioning of almost any kind of city enterprises. In this case the blocked enterprise will be in a vacation mode during an update.

III. Future

These are large-scale changes, which, however, don’t cover the whole possible political spectrum of Virtonomics. After the launch we’ll be gathering statistical data and your feedback, which will help us to decide how to further develop this sector or whether to develop it at all. For now, we see three possible options:

1. Organizing the chain of command: from mayors to regional governors, from governors to country presidents.

2. New opportunities for the mayors. For example, they can develop certain product lines, etc. in order to be able to better regulate the retail commerce in the city.

3. Better detailed model of the world. «Ecology level», «appeal for the tourists», etc. — these are the things that could make the game more interesting, and enhance the job of the mayors.   

• Page:
Message list:  

31.07.2012, 17:44

Last time edited : 1.08.2012, 00:05

myklo
Eight years with Virtonomics
Eight years with Virtonomics
m:
SOROS

#5. Block for one turn the functioning of almost any kind of city enterprises. In this case the blocked enterprise will be in a vacation mode during an update. - This concerns me greatly,way too much power for a Mayor.
It appears to be set-up to mirror `Russian style`politics.Not so 

31.07.2012, 19:22

Last time edited : 31.07.2012, 19:26

Melchior2008
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Bastille Key Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
RoMa Inc.

The ability of blocking everything is a bit scary for companies. Also, the ability to change tax rates, lease price, etc... Will there be an upper limit for taxes or just 100% ?

5 Virtonomics year for a mayor seems a bit too long. It's 260 real days. I think there should be a possibility to demote the mayor if he/she does things that don't match the will of the people/companies.

Will it be possible to bribe the mayor ? Ridiculously 

31.07.2012, 22:55

WSC01
Eight years with Virtonomics Forest tycoon
m:
WSC

simply a bad move... 

1.08.2012, 02:18

Last time edited : 1.08.2012, 02:19

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

1,2,4,5 Are all bad ideas... If you do this you might as well give the "mayor" a admin login to the server! if the wrong person gets in power everyone will simply close up shop in the country. I know i will i might have 35 billion in assets, but by no means am i going to lose it all because of this... I will just simply sit back wait till dozens of people go bankrupt and buy their factories ship it out of the country and sell it off.

If your going to do it like this then make it so if they mess up the whole country and make it go into a USA kinda debt make them pay for it... So if they throw the country into a 50 billion debt and their company is worth 50 bill they are automatically forced bankrupt (no choice no 9 days nothing. Do not pass GO, go directly to bankruptcy.) and all assets sold off to pay off the debt.

If you do not either limit the amount of change per # of weeks months etc or what i said above you will quickly see this game die and only the super rich in the game survive for about a month.

Please note i know nothing about Russian Politics but i do know how the usa got boned... and its by allowing some fool into office.

Edit: If we all give a -1 to original post will that stop this potentially bad update? 

1.08.2012, 02:46

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
Three years with Virtonomics
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

sorry guys, but I strongly disagree with the criticism here!

I think this is a funtastic new addition and dimension to this game. Yes, it has a big impact. Yes, it carries great risks. This is why things will be evaluated constantly. If there is any systematic abuse of power, I'm sure the games administrators will intervene.

The lease prices currently really don't have any impact on your bottom lines, so allowing them to move more into tune with your total budget is a good thing. Any mayor that exaggerates will lose companies to other cities.

Taxes: if they go too high, the companies will flee. This means unemployment goes up and this will be bad for many reasons.

Projects and balanced budgets: I got the impression that a mayor that wants to spend more than city income will do so from private funds.

Blocking companies: abuse it too much, and you lose companies (see "taxes" for the rest). I think it is wise to give the mayor some powers to handle citizens that abuse possible loopholes.

As for the duration of the term: I agree with Melchior that 260 real days is a bit much. A three month period would appear more reasonable to me. Either way, there will be ways to impeach the mayor (maybe on a monthly basis?).

One small piece of "criticism": I find it a bit weird that you can be mayor in more than 1 city. Could the mayor of Paris also be mayor of London? Could you be the mayor of Helsinki and at the same time arrange life in Conakry (Guinee)?

And just to motivate why I like this: the main reason is that it will be an extra motivation for the established players to stick around. To help newer players. To build strong relationships with other players. To continue to share their knowledge. 

1.08.2012, 04:23

Last time edited : 1.08.2012, 04:51

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Don't worry that much. If the Major dares to force-freeze your factories to take control of the market, you can always freeze all your factories there, fire all workers and watch his own enterprise pay the taxes for the cost of the 100% of the city maintenance, expenses and unemployment wages for all your former workers. Problem, major?

I would propose fines for those Majors who spend all the city cash and sink the city or country into bankrupt. (Percentage-based, to avoid "free" runaways for multimillionaires and Point buyers.) And yes, seizure of properties for useless majors too.

On the other side, a beloved Major who lowers taxes for helping enterprises to hire workers and being more productive, reducing custom duties to make the country more competitive in foreign market, improving education level... might be kicked out just because the opposition wants to. But if most of enterprises and investors are happy with him, he is very likely to remain there for a long time.

It's a double-edged sword anyway, but we should need more details about the exact power a major would have before making a deep-in criticism.

EDITED * Typo. 

2.08.2012, 02:17

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

tell you the truth I really dont care what they do to the game really... as if they mess it up and never take a backup of it before implementing something/anything, I'll simply move on, laugh and never look back. 

7.08.2012, 12:24

JuleBCN

After consideration, we've decided not to give mayors the right to block enterprises. 

8.08.2012, 18:18

Last time edited : 8.08.2012, 18:25

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Single corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

Depending on how those are worked out, the new functions will bring great pleasure to all players, or maybe just those who have most villas. Either way, looking forward to it positively and thanks Heart virtonomics team, to keep developing new stuff!

PS: how about removing that "Moderator" label below my nickname now since i am no longer a moderator. It feels .. politically incorrect So-so 

8.08.2012, 20:07

Melchior2008
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Bastille Key Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
RoMa Inc.

If you need to be nominated by a party to get elected, and if a party needs a villa in that city, and since villas are so far a paying feature, does it mean that non-paying players won't be able to be elected mayors ? Really? 

9.08.2012, 05:00

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Melchior2008
If you need to be nominated by a party to get elected, and if a party needs a villa in that city, and since villas are so far a paying feature, does it mean that non-paying players won't be able to be elected mayors ? Really?

Bingo. Unless you can buy the points with in-game cash, or winning several contests. 

9.08.2012, 11:28

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
Three years with Virtonomics
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

That would depend on the parties, wouldn't it? If party X wins the elections in town Y and they think that party member Z, who doesn't happen to have a villa, would make a good mayor, he can become a mayor, can't he?

I don't really expect much problems on Mary because it is so thinly populated. Unless, of course, there are players that want to spend a lot on becoming mayor in 20 cities. I sure hope this statement doesn't come back to haunt me Very we! 

9.08.2012, 17:15

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

JustNash
That would depend on the parties, wouldn't it? If party X wins the elections in town Y and they think that party member Z, who doesn't happen to have a villa, would make a good mayor, he can become a mayor, can't he?

I don't really expect much problems on Mary because it is so thinly populated. Unless, of course, there are players that want to spend a lot on becoming mayor in 20 cities. I sure hope this statement doesn't come back to haunt me Very we!

That reminds me of Monkey Island quote: To you

Monkey Island
Re-elect Governor Marley. "When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice."

10.08.2012, 00:17

Melchior2008
m:
RoMa Inc.

And cities with no villa will they remain mayor-less ? 

10.08.2012, 04:24

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Melchior2008
And cities with no villa will they remain mayor-less ?

I suposse they will remain as they are right now, controlled by the "Artificial Intelligence" until a human player steps in to take the seat. 

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics"-> Politics in Virtonomics

• Page: