Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help. -> How can i increase turnover..

Here you can learn from the interaction between experienced businessmen and young entrepreneurs. You are welcome to place your questions related to our business simulation game and get the answers from experienced players

Topic:

Topic created : 3.11.2009, 05:53

Last time edited : 3.11.2009, 05:54

globeballa
Nine years with Virtonomics
Ten years with Virtonomics
l:
Investors Corporation

My assets is 1 billion and my turnover is 82 million. It's increasing gradually but is this a decent t/o? I wanted to turnover 1/10th of my over all assets each update. its a little short but it'll catch up next update. Is this a good goal? If not what SHOULD my turnover be and how can i achieve it.

Thanks all!   

• Page:
Message list:  

6.11.2009, 14:41

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

I noticed the retail dumping of meat too, the funny thing is that wholesale meat was being bought for higher prices. What took 20 days could have been done in about a quarter of the time, without the negative effect on average prices.

Things like that make it hard to increase city average prices. To have any real effect there has to be a large market share, which shrinks the higher you price your goods. Market share is easy to get with very low prices, which means lowering average prices is also very easy. Weeks or months of pushing prices up can be undone in just a few days.

It was not easy for me to secure a good supply of coal and iron ore, all half decent priced goods were already allocated when I was searching for suppliers. Now it seems the mining boom times are over and supplies are much more plentiful.
I imagine the cycle will repeat itself, it just takes much longer to build factories than it does for companies to go out of business.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am waiting until the end of competitions to expand aggressively. I tend to look for underproduced products that have all raw materials available, so if your production is still higher than demand in a week I'm sure we'll be doing (more) business. 

6.11.2009, 20:05

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Double corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Forest tycoon Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

There is a lot of interesting stuff happening on many levels now and your insight is appreciated! I didn't have enough time to study the competition docs and missed the deadline to enroll ..

You make me a bit jealous ... massive expansion is fun and many useful products are underproduced right now
More sellers will be more entertaining than more buyers, but of course more of both is party time  :-)

Do you know why market volume contracts ? Example refrigerators in Frankfurt loosing 20% of overall quantity sale in approx 30 weeks. the market leaders' share has cut to half in the same time and replaced by local suppliers, not other player's sales. Is there anything we can do to stop that ? 

6.11.2009, 23:04

Last time edited : 6.11.2009, 23:31

Mindwerkz
Five years with Virtonomics

so we should price ABOVE market?  Im normally a few dollars below market.

edit: Ok prices changed, now a few dollars above market.  Is there a percent above we should be at? 

6.11.2009, 23:33

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Mindwerks: I think that you should gradually increase it. Maybe keep like a 2-3 or 4 dollar gap every update? 

8.11.2009, 01:52

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
m:
Company 2.0

A small percentage (.5-1%) above average is all that is required.
Just make sure sales don't exceed your orders for any items, if they do you should slowly start increasing prices until they match up. Eg. If you order 1000 and sell 1000 your selling price could be much lower than necessary. Increase price gradually until you are selling 980-999 units.

Mike: I was surprised your name was not on any of the competition participant lists, now I know why. You aren't the only one that didn't study the docs, there is at least 1 competition with only 2 participants actually doing what is required...

I don't think there is anything we can do to stop the market shrinking. After a quick look at the retail report it is the entire electronics branch in Frankfurt. I've not noticed it before but perhaps this is the result of customer preference and market saturation.
From helpfiles:
"Customers' preferences often change in favour of one or another goods. For example, in a certain city can happen sudden and significant growth in household electronics sale, but one virtual year after this sector can come to complete stagnation, while customers will start to buy furniture and jewelry. These changes can often be unpredictable, however marketing research can reveal consumer trends."
"Third stage (over-saturation): market volume is unstable (it can drop down to the bacis volume, but in general it tends to the maximum stretching), competitive and proportional penalties for «excessive» sales, including district competition. "

The market share increase of independant can be explained with this:
"Trade in saturated markets

Stores will compete with each other, depending on their location. It means, that stores located in a district with high concentration of stores, will have bigger penalty. The system will calculate how much goods would have been sold by all these stores, and after this sales volume for certain stores will be decreased. The most considerable is not the number of stores, but their total sales volume.
"

It seems you may be able to insulate yourself somewhat by changing store location to another district with fewer/smaller stores. Other than that I guess waiting for a market correction is about all you can do.

After looking at retail report a little closer, it seems all retail branches in Frankfurt are sharing the same trend. This looks like a good reason to diversify. Spreading retail stores around the world will allow you to ride out any market downturns. 

8.11.2009, 06:29

m:
Company 2.0

I've just found an excellent example of increased market share but lower income. Brilliants in Abu Dhabi. The second highest seller has 3 million higher turnover than the market leader.

http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/company/rank/2194528 ... <-4th line in the table

http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/company/rank/2202845 ... <-10th line in the table 

8.11.2009, 07:27

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Thats sick. I really think that with the help of Big companies, that we'll be able to change alot in this game for the better. 

8.11.2009, 12:37

Mike1
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Double corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Forest tycoon Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

some businesses prefer market share, i prefer cash  Very we!

Hehe - sometimes i think the PRICES i'm putting in are sick but Habibi is still the favored store of the Royal Family in the UAE. I think its because we offer instant engraving services - most convenient for them given the daily quantity of newly acquired wives.

Fractal... did you calculate the turnover info, i can only see volumes.  "about 1000 pieces" is not that reliable, i saw it may say that even just 750 units are sold. I think market share is calculated by quantity in this game, but only in comparison to the market share by price, it defines profitability. I'd be great to see more statistics, same as in the financial reports there is potential to add and make things look more business-savvy.

Frankfurt market shrinks,  i didn't notice a similar trend in other cities so far  .. script seems to have a rare trigger.
Yeah lets see ... strategy to maintain a retail-capacity reserve across cities is paying well in these cases, e.g. i can just sell this goods in other shops. 

8.11.2009, 15:57

m:
Company 2.0

Turnover info is visible on the achievements page under "assessed valuation" heading. Accurate volume can be calculated by dividing turnover by sales price (found in city retail report), though this only works if the company has one store or uses the same price in both stores for that city.

Rockson sold 804 units, you sold 561.
243 extra units and 3 million less income.

I've also noticed negative market growth in some other cities (Hamburg is one). All the negative growth products I've found have at least one player selling under city average price. I wonder if this is a key to keeping prices up? 

9.11.2009, 08:26

Mike1
m:
Mico Inc

assessed valuation... of course! I only looked at it when checking tech, the valuation seemed unreasonably low so stopped caring about this value.

Negative market growth... could be.. i also noted positive growth in some places, based on having a seller with way-above average prices. 

9.11.2009, 16:27

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

I have set all if not most of my stores products well above market price. Hope it helps! 

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help.-> How can i increase turnover..

• Page: