Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help. -> New Company Ponderings

Here you can learn from the interaction between experienced businessmen and young entrepreneurs. You are welcome to place your questions related to our business simulation game and get the answers from experienced players

Topic:

Topic created : 29.01.2010, 09:45

Jythier
Five years with Virtonomics
Ten years with Virtonomics

Given unlimited qualifications, it looks like I would want to build store after store after store.  A store is easy to make profitable, and does not require any true initial investment in order to succeed.  The investment is an every-week rent payment instead of a one-time building payment.

Factories and livestock raising, however, are limited by capital outlay.  I cannot build as many as I would like to.  But this begs the question - what rate of return is good for a factory or livestock raising?  Obviously in order for a store to be profitable, it needs to pay back the expenses it generates - staff, rent, and product purchase.  With a large-ticket building, one should be paying back the cost of it over time as if it's rent - how quickly should we be making that back?

I ask because if I build one, I need to know how to price my product - if I'm not paying my building, I'm pricing too low.  If I can make back the amount I would invest in a cow shed faster than a factory, I should go that way first, until my efficiency limits me, just like I should build stores until my efficiency limits me to get the highest rate of return.

The real problem comes in for me when I'm looking at semi-products. If no-one is selling them, then I don't know what a good price is.  I also don't know if everyone on the market is under-priced, or if I should be trying to undercut them and take their business.  As there is no Independent supplier there, and no consumer market to gauge on, pricing can be more fluid.

What do you think, community?   

• Page:
Message list:  

5.02.2010, 04:20

Jythier

So how does quality work exactly?  I hear research just allows higher quality, and does not contribute.  Factory workers, materials, and equipment contributes to quality.  Correct? 

5.02.2010, 14:56

ccm_tsang
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics

research allows your company to 'own' a certain level of technology that you can then apply to more than 1 factory (licence can only be used in 1 factory)

technology of the factory dictates equipment quality and requirements for workers.

end product depends on factory tech level and quality of supplies.

just posted in another topic about what i found with quality and factory tech

http://virtonomics.com/mary/forum/forum_new/13/topic/100296/view/m:99901696/#99901696 ...  

6.02.2010, 05:59

Last time edited : 6.02.2010, 06:00

Jythier

Read you other post, are you taking into account employee education level?

So today I started advertising.  I'm advertising not only my three stores, but also my three currently produced products in order to build brand awareness of products and store awareness.  I'm really excited about this ad campaign...
"Blues Brand Junk... the best Junk to put in YOUR trunk!"  and then there's a picture of an elephant eating split screen with a woman unloading groceries into her car.

AWESOME!

Supermanager is about to run out, and I'm afraid that efficiency is going to crash.  I've tried to stay in the low realms of workers, but I don't know.  Having that extra leway, especially in laboratories and factories, seems to be the way to go.  I currently am producing eggs, milk, and meat, next week will be my first flour production, and the week after will see my bakery buying all that flour and turning it into bread.  At least, some of the flour.  I figure, turnover of about 1500 flour in my stores and 1500 bread will leave me with plenty of bread to sell out of my warehouse on the open market.

I had to reset on Mary realm, mostly because I didn't get supermanager - I had an efficiency crash with a single factory.  Ridiculous!  Anyway, I will be more careful in the future - this time I'm going with the agricultural approach on Mary, producing.  Hope it goes well, but who knows? 

6.02.2010, 06:52

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

Starting on an established realm is a little trickier because you are given factories with realm average tech levels. The higher tech increases qualification requirements substantially.

I've never worried about SuperManager because I'd have to hold back on expansions (=profits & growth) to get it. Then when it runs out you may face an efficiency crash. To prevent the crash you need to keep staff numbers down as if you didn't get it anyway...

With advertising the guidelines for efficiency are not very good so you'll need to keep an eye on it until you get an idea of what you can handle. 

6.02.2010, 23:42

Jythier

I guess we'll find out at the next update.

What does the little icon over to the left on the forum mean?

<---- Indonesia Retail Leader

Maybe I am doing something right after all? 

6.02.2010, 23:43

Jythier

By the way, I think Supermanager is good to start with, because you can hire extra people to make money at the level you will be able to hire at the END of Supermanager, but at the beginning.  So basically you get a week's head start on people without Supermanager. 

7.02.2010, 02:06

eVVe
Six years with Virtonomics

Mean you are 1 of the top sellers in that region. 

7.02.2010, 03:12

Jythier

But so are you.  Wow, neat that I'm high in the rankings. 

7.02.2010, 03:15

Jythier

So this is a treat - I'm still at 100% efficiency with qualifications, but I do have one understaffed office so I fixed that and my mill &amp; bakery should get going soon.  I also need to boost my farms up to 75 employees each until I hit the next level.  Soon I will have Q2 cowsheds and will be able to start producing higher quality meat and milk.  I don't know if it's worth it, but might as well try something. 

8.02.2010, 02:45

Jythier

The march to bread continues, also my farms have grown a bit.  I will not see the true revenue until several turns from now, though, because it takes time to go to the warehouse and then get bought.  Also, I need to plan ahead better.  I didn't buy the extra food for the cows or chickens, so now there will be some sickness.  Bummer. 

8.02.2010, 05:46

Last time edited : 8.02.2010, 05:48

chris1221
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
chris1221
m:
Chris1221

may be too late for you with the animals, but livestock for sale does not need forage.  you could move the extra animals there until extra supplies arrive, then sell them back to yourself for $.1 or whatever.  cheaper than replacing sick animals.

also, if you do not have a lot of factories and stores, why would you need to send products to the warehouse and pay the extra expense and time? 

8.02.2010, 06:11

Jythier

Because when I sell to my stores, I then pay taxes on the sales, so I set a lower sales price to my own company.  In order to set a sale price for myself and a sale price for the rest of the world, I need a warehouse to sell the goods through.  Basically, I'm just avoiding taxes until the product is actually sold out of my company and I get the cash to pay those taxes.  I don't need to do it, but it's working for me.  Having a foodstuff warehouse also helps me to look up prices and such without having to make a new division every time.

Since I'm planning to have a lot of factories and stores, might as well start out now.  I believe two or three new stores will be opening next week, now that I have improved my production.

Thanks for the advise on the moving livestock for sale! 

10.02.2010, 03:20

Jythier

So I am slowly increasing the number of chickens in the coop.  Basically, I'm having a problem where I can't afford to buy chickens.  It really clucks.  Anyway, soon I will have the money for a massive chicken overhaul.  I have also opened my first 1000m2 store, in Java, and it's looking like the prices are much, much higher there.  Very nice... I was selling for so cheap where I was, now I can really kick some pricing butt. 

15.02.2010, 06:56

Jythier

Okay, I found Tokio.  Extremely higher prices and much better retail environment overall.  No wonder everyone is selling this stuff on the open market so expensively.  Maybe I should be doing the same?  I could probably make a lot more money that way...

I have a bread and pastry factory now open, and I'm definitely enjoying the extra sales that bread seems to bring.  Turning flour into bread is easy, and a 3-building mill will supply a 1-building bread factory without breaking a sweat. 

26.02.2010, 12:31.     Subject: little help needed

anindit

okay guys...i need a little help...
my cowshed...it contains livestock of quality 1...and "minimal forage quality required" value is also 1...my forage are of quality 1 and their supplies are also more than enough...my animals are still dying....there is no higher quality forage available in the market...what do i do?? 

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help.-> New Company Ponderings

• Page: