Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics" -> The cancellation of VIRTs purchasing and other changes to the system of contests

Discussions on our virtual business game, your ideas and game mechanics

Topic:

Topic created : 30.06.2010, 14:00

Last time edited : 15.10.2010, 15:34

diska
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Beauty set King of the Fields Citronom Virtonomics Philanthropist 1st class Shagreen, VII-XV places Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons The winner of the Breadwinner nomination of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition Planter
Holmes Pipe Dynamite Belgian chevron Jewelry Loupe Beauty set Perfume Dentist Sicilian olive
Italy Gold Italy Gold Shagreen, VII-XV places Six years with Virtonomics Fishing Pro Princely mansion Planter Landowner
Miner Helmet Award for helping other players
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Jewelry Loupe Beauty set King of the Fields King of the Fields Golden hook Golden hook Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Magical bonsai MBA diploma
One year with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Bronze bed-clothing Bronze underwear Estonian silver coin
l:
cnJDS
n:
Flaj Cokotlaj
m:
JDS
a:
Anna Ltd.

The following changes come into force starting from July, 1, 2010:

1. In connection with the program of minimizing of financial and juridical risks the Administration of Virtonomics will not any longer directly buy VIRTs from the players. You will only be able to transfer VIRTs between players and use them to create a trade account on FOREX CLUB.
Our responsibilities in connection with the purchase of June’s applications will be completed.

2. The monthly drawing of 1000 VIRTs among game points buyers is cancelled. There is only the daily drawing left.

3. The prize of the Contest for Directors and the Contest for Presidents has been reduced. The prize of the weekly CD will count 150 points: 5 nominations with the prize of 30 points (18 – first place, 9 – second place, 3 – third place). The main prize of the CP will count 300 VIRTs. However, the total prize of the CPs starting on July, 6, 2010 will not be changed.

4. The launch of new contests for managers, directors and presidents on Anna has been temporarily cancelled.   

• Page:
Message list:  

30.06.2010, 15:28

VladTechs
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

I luckily didn't make it but many players invested tens of virts to win the CD - they will be happy for sure to hear the amazing news Really? 
Be the change you want to see in the world

30.06.2010, 15:47

FutureBrands
Thirteen years With Virtonomics
m:
FutureBrands Industries

Im a new player so i guess it doesn't really affect me that much.. although i have to admit i was counting on earning virts for conversion to real $ Again... oh well... 

30.06.2010, 16:44

warfreak
Overall of the candidate of science Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I wonder why the sudden changes though to the contests. I understand why with judical risks, as this can be seen as a source of undeclared income if you make a lot of money, but with the CD and CP? Well, that makes me try even harder for the president's contest, 1500 virts is still a lot, I can buy myself a villa. 

30.06.2010, 16:52

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 16:54

casperb
Seven years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Probably cash flow problems Eyes in a heap Funds aren't rolling with the costs of most products.

Feww CD just finished for me 

30.06.2010, 17:06

warfreak
Overall of the candidate of science Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I'm not sure it is cash flow problems. I mean, if it were, changing VIRTs into points would be a much easier solution. And given that is has managed to attract so many people already, especially on the Russian speaking servers, from what I gather, it does seem to be stable, given how long it has been in business. But no doubt actual real life money is an issue. Of course, it's impossible for anyone to tell unless either the admin tells us or somehow we get financial records, which is unlikely.

If it is a cash flow problem, there has to be a way to solve it. If you need more cash, and supply is low, increase supply, so advertise the game more? I know that other websites have users promote their game on other popular websites, online game directories and the like, so perhaps this game should do the same by providing some incentive? Like 1 points for 1 vote or something along those lines? Not only would it be a useful incentive, after all, everyone wants points, but it will also promote the game.

That or promote the game to more business-dominated sectors or environment. Like taking ads out in financial magazines or stuff like that, attracting people who are going to be interested in this game and stay on. Not only would that increase player population, it will increase revenue. Those are a few ideas at the top of my head, but I'm sure that there has to be some way to increase revenue if it is a cash flow problem.

Funny, to sell more goods in stores in this game, all you need to do is provide a higher quality product and advertise to succeed. Very we! 

30.06.2010, 18:17

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 18:30

Santa Claus hat The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

I AM PROTESTING the changes that will be made to the CD and CP contests. Those contests have served as a source of motivation and milestones in measuring a player successfulness. The reward was just and as motivating as well. The reduction is too steep!

I am fully aware of the prospective financial hardship that site owner(s) is facing. However, the reduction of those rewards is a double-dip to the situation that you attempt to address in the first place. Many players will leave or not as motivate to play to game regularly which drives down the website traffic. If USER RETENTION and attracting new users are essential to the business model that you are using now, then this decision would makes it worsens the situation. I beg of you to reconsider the decision.

Other changes such as cancellation of VIRTs purchasing and monthly drawing are wise decisions. Monthly drawing winners have always been tempted to cash their VIRTs after winning and never show their asses on Virtonomics again.

Want to raise cash quick for Virtonomics? Here is one simple idea: create a Virtonomics' Supporter Badge which gives +10 to all player's qualification. Player can subscribe MONTHLY for $4.99.

May God save the Queen and my beloved Virtonomics. 

30.06.2010, 19:29

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 19:31

sammotea
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

+ Khoi

Well argued. The only reason I started playing was for capitalistic reasons. However, I am now thoroughly hooked, and have spent all of my winnings repeteadly. The possibility of winning is allowing me to justify 'wasting' all of this time playing a game which, though enjoyable, is definitely draining hours that I would normally have spent bettering myself as a real world individual. 

30.06.2010, 21:11

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 21:32

oldblast
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

PROTESTING and trying to help you on a better decision!

You've created a great game in which people can play like in real life and are motivated with rewards for great performances, this is the core of the game that I see.
Now when you cut all the rewards by a lot you should expect (and I think you do) a big lack of interest of the players the love this game the most and put effort and money in it, these players you should cherish the most.

You will keep as expected the players that are not in love with the game and are not paying you to keep the game running. I may understand you have some hard time or any other issue at accounting with the staff but please don't ruin the game you worked so hard on it until now!

I think you are wise enough to understand how important social motivations and purpose are in a simulation and reality. Once you start loosing the players that put effort in the game you loose your own core.

As a first impression from your email I understand that your profits are sinking because a lot of players are in this game to get the money out not to put them in, but use a wise solution to keep the motivation up and still adjust your cash flow no matter how serious an accounting issue sounds.

SOLUTIONS:
First would be to limit the ones that are getting the money out of the game and emphasize the use of internal money, we are fighting here for status in the game not buying pizza out of it. Like the money earned in contest to have a bigger value used in the game and a smaller value if you want to get them out.
Second solution wound be to make the game payable at a small fee after the first months of playing to keep in the game just the ones that are loving the game and are loss aversive about the gains in the game. Because it's addictive!
Third solution I see to lower the prize gradually (not like you said you will do now) but make it engaging as internal value with badges, icons and any other incentive to keep the same motivation value and improve the ones that are working hard for gains and status.

We play in this game as business people LET'S ACT LIKE ONES, not just as usual players of some online game! 

30.06.2010, 21:32

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 21:33

ydaf
Nine years with Virtonomics
Traskor Swedish standard Swedish standard Viking helmet Viking helmet Dalahast Dalahast Deer horns
Sinterklaas Nine years with Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion
Triple corporate chevron One year with Virtonomics

People - it's game, NOT work 

30.06.2010, 21:49

Last time edited : 30.06.2010, 21:57

Axaria
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

@ oldblast

The man has the gist of it: +10 Ingenuity +5 Intelligence and a fist-full of Cookies from me.
It's always the idealists to move the world, ne?

Kh0i has a good idea too with the Supporter Badge, though you could make them by categories +10 and higher; 10 would be more than a little useless for the big boys.

Oh, I'm PROTESTING the prize decrease too, it seems to be all the new black this summer

Oh and before you brush me off as not giving a half damn please know I'm really, really pissed off

Thanks

@ ydaf We're not trying to earn a steady paycheck out of it if that's what you mean by your reply. We're just concerned idealists noticing a poor leadership decision that is quite thoroughly and effectively disappointing us, is all. 

1.07.2010, 01:54

Last time edited : 1.07.2010, 01:55

casperb
Seven years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

ydaf
People - it's game, NOT work

+ Right on that one

This is Virtonomics first english realm i think open, there where only russian realms ?

That makes a little demographic differances. Opening the market globally changes, more players who play for free.
Russians pay sooner for on-line games, with lots of paying customers you can have high prices for contests.

It's a virtual text based game.
Prices are very high i think, who pays $1000 for a raw material source that is producing you virtual cash ? ( not to offend the players who do, just a student To wink )
Lowering the prices is getting more customers over the hedge to pay.

Other realms already have a subcription to pay but, that will not help with marketing the game as "for free" is the new thing with Google. Going global is creating more idears to get the money from the customer. Think trademarks are very very good but than it's only for 90 days make it forever that getting something for your money.

Developers and team thanks for the great game hope i can get unhooked. I roll! Getting global is getting a new plan too many cultures to get acqainted with. 

1.07.2010, 02:52

mrstickball
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Its just as I predicted with my suggestions to change the business model of Virtonomics.

A lot of what they've done has been confusing, and not the greatest business decisions (in comparison to other top-tier browser based games). This is a step in the right direction. Not everyone may agree, but its a step in the right direction. 

1.07.2010, 03:56

Last time edited : 1.07.2010, 04:15

oldblast
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

mrstickball

Its just as I predicted with my suggestions to change the business model of Virtonomics.

mrstickball that's a good point. The game target of winning a lot of money that you can convert in real cash seems odd since we're playing for the experience, pleasure and status not for food.. real money would be nice too but that's not the most important asset. A new direction of the game done wisely can lead to more players and motivated by playing not making 1:1 money, like other big browser games. This is a difficult task for them to change now the track after so much time doing this.

But all these should be done with new rules well thought toward the new path and at the same time keeping the rewards values at the same level or higher not to loose the core players or the new core players, and by value I mean game attributes not necessarily 1:1 money you can withdraw.
We play this game because we like it and it's addictive, not as a job. And we like money too since it's a money game, but maybe with different and better rules.

*About "acting as business people" I'm referring about ideas to solve the virtonomics team issues and make the game better not as a daily job. It's obvious that their profits are sinking since they can't afford the usual rewards. 

1.07.2010, 10:50.     Subject: no money

AnthonyCrawford

Terrific news. I quit immediately. 

2.07.2010, 00:32

Lilita_Lilita
Eleven years with Virtonomics Tiara of the participant of Miss Virtonomics-2011 Silver bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey sweater Estonian bronze coin Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Nine years with Virtonomics
Ten years with Virtonomics

oldblast
We play this game because we like it and it's addictive, not as a job.

+1 Yes 

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics"-> The cancellation of VIRTs purchasing and other changes to the system of contests

• Page: