Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Archive -> Virtonomics gives up a free-to-play model

Promotions, partnerships, buying and selling businesses, products and services from business game entrepreneurs Virtonomics. Archive Forum.

Topic:

Topic closed

Topic created : 30.09.2009, 17:59

Last time edited : 8.10.2009, 17:23

diska
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Beauty set King of the Fields Citronom Virtonomics Philanthropist 1st class Shagreen, VII-XV places Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons The winner of the Breadwinner nomination of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition Planter
Holmes Pipe Dynamite Belgian chevron Jewelry Loupe Beauty set Perfume Dentist Sicilian olive
Italy Gold Italy Gold Shagreen, VII-XV places Six years with Virtonomics Fishing Pro Princely mansion Planter Landowner
Miner Helmet Award for helping other players
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Jewelry Loupe Beauty set King of the Fields King of the Fields Golden hook Golden hook Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Magical bonsai MBA diploma
One year with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Bronze bed-clothing Bronze underwear Estonian silver coin
l:
cnJDS
n:
Flaj Cokotlaj
m:
JDS
a:
Anna Ltd.

Dear players!

Starting from October 5, 2009 Virtonomics won’t be free-to-play any more. The new game model will be Shareware, which means that free playing will be possible for 14 days only.

There will be 2 options provided for Virtonomics players:

1. Subscribers game – “Anna” realm has been opened on September 29, 2009. (Here are the regulations of Subscribers realm).
- all enterprises and game functions (except for decorative, like office decoration) are free
- game situation updates require payment
- the minimum cost of monthly subscription is  $8.25 (in case if purchase the whole year)

2. Game with obligatory minimum payment for services – “Mary ” realm (Here are the regulations of Shareware realm.)
- game updates function is provided in addition to purchased game services
- 1 game point spent by the player for any kind of game needs will ensure 6 full-scale game updates (but no more than 90 in total). It means that every player must spend at least 5 game points per month to ensure himself a normal game process
- the player can choose any kind of services or enterprises to spend game points required for game update
There will be two different game modes: Demo mode (DM) and Full mode (FM)

I. Regulations of DM
a) For 14 days starting from the moment of registration, the player can play the game in demo mode for free;
b) Every time the player spends game points, it will change his mode from DM to FM for 6xP (P = number of spent game points). However, the total duration of paid period can not exceed 90 game updates. The rest of unspent free period will be added to the duration of FM, when the player switches from DM to FM;
c) When the player loses his DM status, he keeps all his actives, qualifications, achievments, etc.;
d) Every new expenditure of game points will add to FD duration 6xP updates. However, the total duration of paid period can not exceed 90 updates;
e) In case if after 14 days of DM the player didn't switch to FM, his game character will be expelled from the realm;
f) The DM companies have following restrictions:
- it is forbidden to take part in competitions and promo-actions of the realm;
- it is forbidden to use massive messaging function.
g) The restart will return 14-days DM period back to the very beginning;
h) Registration in the game is only possible after e-mail confirmation.

II. Procedure of FM conclusion
a) In case if the comapny officially goes bankrupt, it WILL NOT disable the rest of the utilization regulations;
b) 10 and 5 days before the end of paid period, the player will receive a notification;
c) After the first non-payment, the company will be "frozen":
- all the workers will be set on vacation;
- advertising campaigns will be suspended;
- sales of all enterprises will be cancelled (except for auctions);
- all the market offers on technologies and licenses will be cancelled;
- all the market requests for licenses will be cancelled;
- all the offers for goods sale will be closed;
- all the contracts will be zeroed.
The player will receive a notification, his access to company will be partially blocked;
d) After 5 unpaid updates, the company will be ultimately terminated - the contracts will be cancelled;
e) After 90 unpaid updates, the game character will be expelled from the realm;;
f) The restart will return all the counters back to zero, and bring the company to the regular 14-days DM..

III. Procedure of switching to the new system
a) Counters of DM and FM will be activated on October 5;
b) All players registered before 28.09.09 , who had spent game points, will automatically get a paid period of 6xP updates (P – number of spent game points) and a 14-day bonus. However, the total duration of paid period in FM can not exceed 180 updates;
c) The players without any spent game points, will also be switched into DM, their assets won’t change.

IV. Other changes, related to the new game model
a) First payment bonus is cancelled;
b) Restart in FM will bring the player back to the step of company creaction, without any restrictions on the validiy of FM. The player will get back half of game points, spent for qualification, in form of undistributed points, which can be spent on qualification growth ONLY;
c) It is forbidden to post any kind of announcements about credits, sponsoring funds etc., as well as requests for credit. Credit-related announcements will be deleted, their author will receive a warning. Violators can be blocked or expelled from the game;
d) VIRTs and bonus points (gained as a prize in competition, etc.) are equal to paid points, and therefore can be used for Full Mode prolongation.

V. The expected modifications
1. Within the nearest 180 updates (until the end of November) some modifications in qualification system will be implemented. Besides, we’ll introduce a system of several characters amalgamation (subject to they belong to the same player).
2. In future we’ll introduce non-manufacturing business industry.

Best regards, Virtonomics Adminstration   

Message list:  

1.10.2009, 03:20

NirodArk

Hey guys, it might be true that there are better mmog (massively multiplayer online game) on the market right now when is coming about fluency, service etc. But this is (as far as I know) the only mmog of this type that is worth playing. If you know a better option for those of us who are really interested in this kind of games, please tell us! These guys that came up with "virtonomica" did a good job until now (there is place for improvement, of course)! And I think, for the sake of the pleasure that we had playing it, it's worth giving them some support for some time: maybe with the money they will get from us, will be able to implement those suggestions (and more) that we gave them. I suggest to those who love management and economy (virtual or real) to try the subscription for at least a month and see what will happen. If we won't see improvements that can mach the price we paid, then we can leave the game. And guys, 12$ a month is not such a big sum! (2 McD menusWell) At least, this is what I will do!

As for you, the developers, I appreciate you ideas and your work! Thank you for a nice online experience! Keep it going and make it better! Success! 

1.10.2009, 03:32

cipetonk
Thirteen years With Virtonomics

a game without player will die itself, sooner or later

even if i wanna try a month subscription, i can't, no payment option available in indonesia 

1.10.2009, 03:34

xlmx

I know the sponsors are short these days, but it is not the right way to go.
If I need to pay more than 8$ a month I will switch to EVE Online.
So sad, Virtonomics gave up for the free players at all. Imagine I wanted to get some of the premium stuff.

Bye Virtonomics... 

1.10.2009, 03:44

Graq

I get what you are saying Nirod--it seems that the developers want to target a very specific market as this game is in fact one-of-a-kind.

In the MMO gaming industry the competition is extreme--and most developers compete by providing excellent products with constant updates and new content packages--and then they get paid! On that level Virtonomics can not compete at all at the moment.

It is sad that they are closing the doors to the run-of-the-mill gamers. I guess now you can feel proud of belonging to a very 'select' group of gamers playing an obscure browser-based-mmo... 

1.10.2009, 03:55

xlmx

Somehow the most of MMOs are able to produce a free content playable for a lot of people. It is sure that when they get hooked up they will switch to premium, but to close the door is very very bad. Try the model of Tibia, all the people I know started wth a free account and they changed to premium.
Well boys, you need to hire someone who is better with marketing. Trust me, your aren't going to get money with the product you're offering right now.
The game is a great idea, it just needs a few things to polish up, but you ask a fortune. So sad a great game like this ends up as an expensive piece of junk.... 

1.10.2009, 04:13

leto1978
Five years with Virtonomics

I also agree, this is bad news.

If they wanted more money, they could have added a points market. Maybe some players would have agree to buy points for other player. Exemple: I pay player XYZ 2 millions $ of my virtual money. He buy me one point.

A lot of player will quit this game. And with only a few players remaining, it will be harder to find goods. So, not only the game is not free anymore, but the game is changing drastically...

I like this kind of game. If've found this game really well done. BUT, I'm gone.

Thanks for the good time. 

1.10.2009, 04:38

bryanUC
Three years with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
l:
Shamrock Industries

Today marked one month for me; I've enjoyed playing and have finally started to learn how to make things work.  That said, there's no way that I'm going to pay any sum, especially not $8.25/month, to play this game.  While it is a unique game, the various issues (especially update problems on a regular basis in September) make the new payment system a disappointment.

Thanks for the fun while it lasted! 

1.10.2009, 04:49

HUMUNGOUS

This really had to be a much better game to make me pay for it.

One less player here!

Nice NOT doing business with you! Very we! 

1.10.2009, 05:43

Rains

Btw, the team even suggested that the retailing prices will be liberalize since they / the gov. had restrictions on them before.. And so, they got tried of controlling the prices within the system itself and turned their eyes on control the gaming market outside of the games. 

1.10.2009, 05:44

coffeeaddict
Seven years with Virtonomics

What a damn shame. Finally a game I like, and it effectively closes down.

I knew as soon as I saw the big ad on the home page, the developers were just in it for short-term greed and not long term growth.

The pay-for-extra-features model would really make them more money too, I think... this is going to devestate the player base and then nobody's going to want to pay for either points or subscriptions, on a ghost server.

Really, devs? Have you thought this through...? This game's not even half finished, it seems, and it's covered in ads already! Why would you waste what players you've got?

I wonder if they'll change their mind with this kind of response... their revenue will plummet with this. 

1.10.2009, 05:52

Rains

Ohh guys, they've also given us 5 more days before they start it on Oct. 5... So, i guess they've given themselves some time to change their minds.

SO for those who don't want a paid game give a shout out! 

1.10.2009, 06:02

Rains

One more thing, if they have every1 paying into the game. Then what's the advantage of it for players?
Unlike the current stat.. Those rich RL players will have huge advantage on using their RL money. But if all of you pays then its like playing right now against those players not paying up for points.

The advantage of using your RL money in the game is to increase your stat. for a much enjoyable gaming.
AND if everyone pays then its like playing a free game without any donations / RL cash purchases.

Where's the advantage for your RL cash? (Your RL dollar purchasing power is much lower than what it is now if they implement this new rule.) 

1.10.2009, 06:05

Last time edited : 1.10.2009, 06:21

eberleeike

Uhm, while I dont think everybody will stop playing this game, as it is quite good in my opinion, lots of players will go, including me. Not a great decision and I feel pretty upset as I just finally also got the hang of it and saved some money to expand and start making REAL money (ingame of course). I am just really happy I didnt buy the 100gps to buy a farm one week ago. Actual Reason: With the funky game updates which sometimes just dont happen I didnt think the game was solid enough for me to spend 100bucks. Phew, that would have been an increadible waste of money and my instincts were right. Well, virtonomics-team, close my company down and go suck a duck but also thanks for the time you gave me to play free, I really enjoyed it.

Please do delete my contact details as well as anything else I may have given you to register. 

1.10.2009, 06:25

hafeezi
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics
l:
Ali Amat A. Ltd.

Very sad news indeed coming from the Virtonomics team. Also I find it more sad that the business model they're going to for is also flawed and will cause them to lose another source revenue for their company.

Let me try to explain why I think this way, and I hope for the Virtonomics team, please listen to this argument. Oh and invite your business execs too. They'll want to listen to this.

The business model that you're gonna go for here is a normal Software-As-A-Service type of model that will require a monthly subscription or a quota of game points that needs to be spent over time. If you guys are offering a Web Based Enterprise Application either for ERP, CRM or even a billing system, then yes you can offer this kind of pricing. But you can't exactly use this kind of pricing model for an application that is based on Educational/Entertainment. I know this because I have been doing a lot of research on this business model as I've been interested in venturing into this in the near future.

First of all, your game is depends on players to make it work. Players to interact/trade with one another. In short, you need to have a crowd of people already playing this game. Many of your industries in the game, requires players to run them. In short, this game of yours is player driven. Without players, or should I say a good amount of players in the game, most of the stuff that you implemented in the game is either wasted or utilized very little. Also right now, majority of your new players that registered are brought in by us. We introduced them to this game. We are your main marketers for the game. Don't you forget that.

Second, your pricing model. Like I said earlier, the pricing that you've placed is a bit too expensive. Your prices and subscription plan is scaring away your customers. Especially those that are already your paying customers. The current model of game points that you have put in place is already such a good model. Only issue here is that you don't have enough 'value added services' that we would want to spend our game points on. Game point dependent industries, franchise markets, qualification, innovations are already a good option for us to put game points at. So you only need to add more options like these for us to spend on. The more 'value added services' that you add into the game that you think will help us play better, the higher chances that we will pay for game points.

Third, your demo period. 14 days is too short for new players. It took me at least a month to two months to finally be able to understand the game mechanics and what are the things that I should do or not when playing. If I were doing my own Software-As-A-Service business with lets say, an online invoicing system, I would put at least a month to 3 month free demo. Because I know that for an application as complicated as that, users need time to learn on how to use it. Same thing with your game too, there's so much to learn especially on how to use it.

Lastly, this is just an assumption of mine, because for you to put down a pricing such as this, are you guys having financial trouble? If you are, let us know please. Because if you need money to pay for your server hosting, your networking costs, administrative costs and what so ever, do a donation drive. Trust me when I say that we, being your customers who also happens to love your game, are more than willing to contribute a few dollars just to keep the game running.

This game if properly done and properly thought out is a gold mine for you guys, but only if you guys think of it properly and also plan out well. I've seen many IT companies with many potential products went bust because they just don't understand what they have under their noses.

Thanks for reading this long post. 

1.10.2009, 06:51

stxkyboy01
Silver Finnish Lion

Currently  the 80th company is assest........atleast my grades will go up. 

List of forums -> Archive-> Virtonomics gives up a free-to-play model