Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> [Mary] Natural city development (Gao)

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 29.08.2014, 18:20

Last time edited : 29.08.2014, 18:23

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

Why is it a red arrow next to Gao's population?

This is what the Demographics page have to say about natural population growth:

The actual population already exceed the nominal: 1233 ths. actual and 63 ths. nominal
Education level increased a little bit last year and is forecasted to continue increasing.
Unemployment is 0.00%
How is the poverty level calculated? If this is the wealth level: how much is required to have positive effect?
For health care, the region already spend $250M per update.

Mali health care budget:

Any advice on how to remove the red arrow would be very much appreciated!   

• Page:
Message list:  

13.09.2014, 21:05

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

20+ views and no reply?! I can upload larger pictures, if that's in issue.

I increased the health care subsidies, but still no effect. 

14.09.2014, 16:02

Last time edited : 14.09.2014, 16:03

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Sorry man, I've been busy lately... To you

The "poverty level" stated there makes direct reference to city wages, but I think it has something to do with the "wealth level" that is just a measure of how much retailing is done (exploited buying power). The point 2 talks about welfare. Having good stores gives better life quality. Maybe it needs more retailing?

I suspect that it is the "natural death" factor. Maybe the region doesn't have enough wealth to support the natural growth. The only way to counter it would be either expanding the city.

The additional subsidies seem to be "shared" among medical centers, not sure if it has additional effects on natural city growth.

The Support Team can provide accurate answers for these topics too. 

15.09.2014, 21:37

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: bachelor Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Run for Mayor and get Iceblast to support you.  I've been voted in with low voter activity.

side question: I don't get what actual 1233 vs nominal 63 means.   Is the difference immigrant labor? 

15.09.2014, 23:22

Last time edited : 15.09.2014, 23:27

Wonson
Seven years with Virtonomics
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
Four years with Virtonomics
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

comparing this city to other cities, and region budgeting to others didn't give me any strong evidence for any conclusion, either. just one question:

the demography page states: "spontaneous building in the 'superheated' cities". Maybe game engine treats renting and building as different actions, and Gao is now over-populated by renting, not building. do you always gather immigrants by renting stores? you know i'm inexperienced, just trying to share a guess and ask your opinion. 

16.09.2014, 02:58

mort100
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

Thanks for the input.

RC: I will consider retail efforts. If it works, I wil report it in this thread.

G_money: elector activity is "very low" and seem unchangeable - at the moment I don't dare going for it. We would also need a tent to make it happen.

For the side question: 63000 is the amount of people living in the city (nominal), while 1233000 also include migrant workers (actual).

Wonson: the demography page doesn't say anything about renting vs building. I would think that Gao is indeed "superheated" (more actual than nominal population), but how should we understand "spontaneous building"? Could this be all building activity, but that it only affect population dynamics during the construction? 

16.09.2014, 09:30

Last time edited : 16.09.2014, 10:39

Wonson
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
Four years with Virtonomics
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

now that i think twice, i can see RC is right and retail in Gao can be a problem. just comparing it with a few cities:

Gao: pop:63k(actual:1200k), retail:$407million ($339 retail/resident)
Pietermaritzburg: pop:520k(actual:645k), retail:$341million ($530 retail/resident), a similar city
Helsinki: pop:637k, retail:$3.55billion ($5570 retail/resident), a very rich and attractive european city

if this is a correct way to calculate things then Gao retail can be a problem. by closing some of non-working stores and reducing the actual population, the ratio can be improved. (well, in fact retalil volume is fine,  superheating by 20 times is an overkill, 5 times could do the trick)
that guess popped into my mind just because Gao was unique in one way: very high wages, and very low education. obviously not attractive for producers, and it is located next to Bamako where workers expectations are ¼ of Gao. so i can tell  the number of factories should be very low there. 

16.09.2014, 13:42

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

If wages are a problem get a few players to spend a couple of billion in factories (don't matter what ones, just need to hire workers and train them). Train the workers to a high qualification at city wages.

Tho I'm not sure how the game calculates wages 2 times a year so...

But my best guess is opening about 500 factories at 5000 workers should work (increases population by 3 almost, but if you train workers right and it works you literally crash the wages)

Tho if mayors in the game where able to change the wages or conduct population education this wouldn't be much a issue (or do they already?) 

16.09.2014, 14:20

Last time edited : 16.09.2014, 14:24

wolf85
Three years with Virtonomics
Appolo in turquoise The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition The best player of the qualification for the quarterly Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

i guess that explains why the wages rise every six game months in gao when the actual population is so low. some days ago it was an attractive place to build farms and factories. now the wages in gao are much to high for the education level.

i guess gao is the african lisburn in this game. seems many went to nothern irland for low taxes and the salaries in lisburn went up. i bet the number of workers also exceeds the number of the population multiple times in lisburn :-) 

18.09.2014, 03:56

Last time edited : 18.09.2014, 04:08

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

The "spontaneous" effect is just the natural change of population that we all know about. When the city has unemployment, the population goes down a bit. The opposite case, when there is no unemployment, the population grows. The effect is not as strong as the one from projects, and if the project for expanding the city is used, those natural changes are "overwriten".

About "inflating" the inmigration. Any unit that is not producing and selling, is basically a "burden" for the budget. If you are paying wages for your workers to scratch their bellies at full-time, that unit is a source of wages, but it doesn't generate any tax itself, it doesn't create wealth. Labs are slightly different, because they do not produce anything themselves, but the average skill of workers can affect the average education level in the city (just for natural growth, projects would overwrite it). They also provide good wages.

So, yes, it is better to avoid inmigration if their workplaces are not productive ones. (They generate more retailing, but if the market is not too developed, it would generate more harm than income.)

The massive natural rising of wages was surely due to some enterprisers increasing wages instead of training workers, so they would have higher skill in less time. As the population is rather small, that part of the enterprises affected the average salary. Smaller cities are easier to manipulate if they don't have a mayor to overwrite the changes with municipal projects. 

29.09.2014, 08:07

mort100
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

Red arrow gone!

Link:
http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/geo/citylist/15933 ...  

29.09.2014, 19:57

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: bachelor Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

How'd you do it? 

29.09.2014, 20:10

mort100
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

I have no idea, but seems like the trend changed after the october update. 

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> [Mary] Natural city development (Gao)

• Page: