Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> Optimizing Brands, Trademarks & Market share

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Voting:  

Should we have sub-brands for the same product & Market share data for manufacturers?

Voting duration:

Start: 28.12.2012, 00:24

End date: Not specified

Voting continues
- Yes for both

- Sub-brands yeah, but market share for manufacturers NO

- No for sub-brands, Yes for Market share

- No for both

You have not voted yet

Topic:

Topic created : 28.12.2012, 00:24

Ehabov
Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
m:
Ehab Holdings

I am new to Vitronomics. Probably less than a month. Firstly, I would like to commend the great work of the developers. This is a great game for which I have been searching for awhile.

Now to my point. I think it is great that we can have trademarks and Market share data (Sales volume tab). However, may I suggest two enhancements which I think are important.

1) Trademarks

If I manufacture a product, say a car, and I give it a trademark, I am forced to give the product from all factories the same name. I think it will be better if we can give different names based on quality and price. For example, I want to target 3 or 4 market segments, from those focusing on price, to those focusing on quality and brand. I should be able to brand my cars (Called X for example) as follows:

X100, Quality: 1.00, Price: 4,000$
X300, Quaiity: 2.46, Price: 7,000$
X500, Quality: 6.00, Price: 13,000$
X700, Quality: 12:00, Price: 27,000$

Obviously, it will be the responsibility of the player to maintain the quality of his sub-brand to protect its reputation and market share.

This allows me to target different markets and penetrate different segments. It also gives the game a more realistic feel.

2) Sales Volume (Market Share):

Currently market share is only calculated and shown for the number of units sold in stores. This is not in line with real life situation. For example, Samsung's market share in the mobile industry is calculated based on the number of mobiles (or dollar value) that the company sells to distributors, 3rd party re-sellers and others. It is OK if we want to keep the market share calculation and graph for stores, but we should also show the market share of the manufacturers for different products.

I hope these suggestions don't fall on deaf ears Well

What do the other players think? Answer the question   

• Page:
Message list:  

28.12.2012, 02:10

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Well, unlike in Capitalism, low quality items tend to not being sold when the market has higher quality ones in the same city. Usually, most of the sales rely on item quality. I can produce both cheap alcohol with lower quality, and higher quality one at a not too different cost. As both products are exactly the same (but with different quality), it would have no point for me to spend double the advertisement costs when the current one works for both of them. In this game brands only "lose awareness" when they are not supported with advertisement campaigns past certain limit, changing the quality of the product doesn't affect it in any way. There is the option to use "trademarks" in order to keep cheap cars with their own brand, and the good ones with another one, but it requires game points to be used. Worth it? Not in my opinion...

As for market share, it is the final consumer the one who counts for that, I guess. If the final consumer doesn't buy them, the mobiles will remain on the stand, or at the storage room. No matter how many of them they bought from the suppliers. The reports page for each product in each city displays the top suppliers, as long as they have a noticeable market share there. I guess that is the closest thing to manufacturer's market share.

And don't get that idea of mirroring real world economy here, To you just check the price of cotton, flowers, fish... This is an alternative universe, with its own supply and demand rules. 

28.12.2012, 13:15

Ehabov
Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
m:
Ehab Holdings

I know it is not completely real, so the prices are different. But, my point is that I am doing well as a manufacturer. I sell all my production immediately. However, I can't see my name on the sales volume tab. The ones who show are the ones buying my product and selling them in their stores. For me, this is a bit unfair because my company's name doesn't show anywhere.

So I suggest to have a tab for stores, and a tab for manufacturers.

As for brands, even if the low quality products won't sell in a certain country, they might in a cheaper market. I still want to have a different name for those products  

Just a suggestion. 

8.01.2013, 05:37

willkarol
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics One year with Virtonomics
m:
WKO & Partners Financial

I agree, it would be nice to see a market report based on production instead of having to buy a warehouse, change the specialization, and dig through the listings without any real information provided except what their price and Q is. Such a feature only exists for retail stores, factories get no fame! 

9.01.2013, 01:04

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

willkarol
I agree, it would be nice to see a market report based on production instead of having to buy a warehouse, change the specialization, and dig through the listings without any real information provided except what their price and Q is. Such a feature only exists for retail stores, factories get no fame!

By the way, just commenting, same happens with politic weight of the voting companies. Only stores results are taken in account, producers are ignored unless they have their own store their products there. 

9.01.2013, 23:34

Ehabov
m:
Ehab Holdings

So do you think we can do something to manage to convince the administrators to change that? I mean in the "real life" business i am in, which is Medical Devices, people care about the producer and not the distributor or the re-seller. I mean it matters, but market share and brand awareness is that of the manufacturer!

So you can't really say that Siemens Healthcare for example doesn't have a market share, whereas their distributors enjoy the fame! 

10.01.2013, 16:50

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
One year with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
Three years with Virtonomics
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

isn't this report what you guys are talking about?

http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/globalreport/manufacture/359855 ...

Here you can see that as for medical devices (to stick to that example), I'm currently the second largest producer in the realm. And Golden & Trix is the world's (realm's) largest producer. 

13.01.2013, 00:31

Ehabov
m:
Ehab Holdings

Nope Nash. This only shows production capacity. But how much of the production is being sold is what we are really talking about.

Production capacity is not really a good measure because you can be the biggest producer but still not sell well enough, so you are not really capturing market share.

The real measure would be one of the two below examples

1. Market share by dollar value: Which means companies are ranked by number of dollars they sell from a certain product

e.g  Medical Devices Company's share = # of units sold X Price

2. Market share by units sold: Simply which company sold more units of the product

I think #2 is what is being used for stores now, as you can see it measured in units. The problem with the current model is explained by the below example.

Assume the top 3 market leader for Sedan cars are:

Company A: Selling 1,000 units in stores
Company B: Selling 750 units in stores
Company C: Selling 650 units in stores.

It also happens the company B & C by their cars from me! In this case i should be the market leader is me (Selling 1,150 units).

My suggestion, and not to disturb the current model, is to keep the market share for  stores (Sales Volume Tab), and add one more tab (Sales volume by manufacturer/ Market share by manufacturer)

This way everybody is happy, and as WillKarol said, everyone gets some love 

13.01.2013, 11:10

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

ok, I see what you mean.

I have another issue concerning this topic. I read that if Apple's iPad were a separate company, it would be the size of McDonald's. BUT Apple doesn't produce those iPad's themselves. There is a Chinese manufacturing company that employs 1 million slaves, er workers, that produces Apple's products.

Which statistic would you like to see? The Chinese company's or Apple's?

Tied to this, I'd like to raise the idea that you could brand a product even if it was produced by another company. For example: I produce 100.000 cell phones a week which I sell to you. You put your brand on them and distribute them to shops. This might be directly to your own shops or wholesale to other players' shops. 

13.01.2013, 15:38

Last time edited : 13.01.2013, 15:40

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Double corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Forest tycoon Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

JustNash
. There is a Chinese manufacturing company that employs 1 million slaves, er workers, that produces Apple's products.

Hm ok this is going a bit off-topic but just to clarify: the company you mean is ASSEMBLING the products, not manufacturing them, and they are a Taiwan company which also assembles for HP, IBM and others in their China workshops. There are more than 10 different manufacturers who actually manufacture those Apple parts and you won't be able to see the screen of your phone if they'd all put their brand on it.

Nothing personal but calling workers in China "slaves" is pretty hypocritical. Almost every western household contains more than 50% of goods assembled or produced in China. The consumers are making the price, the Chinese and many other countries are merely doing their best for the crumbs those buyers are willing to shelf over. 

14.01.2013, 13:06

JustNash
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

indeed, Foxconn's headquarters are in Taiwan. I did not know that. The million workers are mainly in China though, right?

I did deliberately call those people "slaves" to point out the hypocrisy. Plenty of westerners are constantly complaining about lots of stuff.
"The cost of living is too expensive."
"China is stealing our jobs."
"People around the world should have equal rights."

None of them would trade their situation for that of the people working for Foxconn (or other companies). None of them have any problem purchasing products that they know are produced by people in circumstances that they themselves wouldn't last for more than an hour in (especially if you take wages into account). Over here, some people won't work because they can hardly earn more than what they get from social security. In some cases, they even get less.
(I'll be stopping my rant now, coz I can go on and on about this Very we!; the main thing is that I agree with your remarks)

As for the topic: yes: they are assembling the iPhones etc. As much as my company assembles mobile phones from microprocessors and plastics that I may or may not have manufactured myself. The point is still: it is not Foxconn that gets mentioned in the statistics for smartphones, it is Apple. All Apple does is market a product. Apple has done nothing with regards to the production of the product. Its parts are produced by third parties and even the assembly is outsourced. 

16.01.2013, 21:09

Ehabov
m:
Ehab Holdings

Guys, at the end of the day that doesn't change the fact that Apple gets the acknowledgement for market share.

The key point here is manufacturers need to get some credit. 

17.01.2013, 02:11

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

I have been thinking (weird), and I guess that it looks a bit like the "cities supply" tender thing. The final list displays the top producers for that product in that city. In fact, the same results might be used for displaying the top-10 producers for that city, or the ones keeping the main share as suppliers (for example). That way, it would be simple to reflect what you suggest: producer name, brand level, units sold, etc. Something like this maybe? 

18.01.2013, 21:10.     Subject: Huge disappointment

Ehabov
m:
Ehab Holdings

I am not sure Rogue_cat. I really don't know how to check that. It is not straightforward.

However, I must say that I have just tried something and I'm extremely disappointed!!

I paid 30 USD for 30 game points to be able to use trademarks! Only to find out that I can only brand one product for 30$!!! This is a huge expense, and I must say that it wasn't clear in the description!

So let's say I am producing 10 products, then I would have to pay 300 USD every 3 months to use trademarks!! This is too much, and to be honest isn't worth it at all. 

19.01.2013, 02:53

Last time edited : 19.01.2013, 02:54

Rogue_Cat
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Ehabov
I am not sure Rogue_cat. I really don't know how to check that. It is not straightforward.

However, I must say that I have just tried something and I'm extremely disappointed!!

I paid 30 USD for 30 game points to be able to use trademarks! Only to find out that I can only brand one product for 30$!!! This is a huge expense, and I must say that it wasn't clear in the description!

So let's say I am producing 10 products, then I would have to pay 300 USD every 3 months to use trademarks!! This is too much, and to be honest isn't worth it at all.

Good to know this. I thought that you could create more than one ("for each retail product"/"para cada mercancía producida") while it was working. If I had collected enough VIRTs for getting it, it would have been a major jaw-bruiser for me. It makes me feel bad now, as I talked you about those as an alternative, even when I said I didn't consider it worthy.

An example of a past tender for suppliers:
http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/tender/19235

There, you can see the suppliers FROM that city for that product. Other kind of tenders, indicate the main suppliers for a given city, no matter where they produce it (brand 0.02 or higher in order to be displayed in that one). This one is a good example: http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/tender/19164 (Not close enough for me. To you Alas, maybe next time I'll begin my way to gaining points.)
Something like a mix of those maybe? 

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> Optimizing Brands, Trademarks & Market share

• Page: