Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> Riddle me this

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 3.01.2012, 16:27

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
One year with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
Three years with Virtonomics
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

First and foremost, my best wishes to you all!

As some of you might not know what to do with the spare time due to the lack of updates recently, I thought it might be entertaining to try and start a chain of riddles. I'll go first with a simple one:

Imagine a New Year's gift: a set of 3 little boxes with 2 chocolates in each. 1 box contains 2 black chocolates, 1 box contains 2 white chocolates and the third has 1 black and 1 white chocolate. Now, without looking inside, open up a random box and take out a chocolate.
Question: if the chocolate is white, what are the odds that the other chocolate in that box is also white?
A. 1/3
B. 1/2
C. 2/3
D. ...mmmmm, chocolate...

I hope people will reply, preferably with just their choice. Keep the others guessing :-)

If you have a riddle, you can start a new thread and give it a number (eg Riddle 2).

Good luck!

Nash   

• Page:
Message list:  

3.01.2012, 18:48

yuga_ninjie
Fourteen years with Virtonomics
Six years with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Belgian chevron Waffle iron Dentist Sandalwood Baobab Sakura Oak
Maple Cedar Elm King of the Fields Golden hook Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor
Management: bachelor Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Steel Dumbbell of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011 participant Bachelor of Virtonomics MBA diploma Laboratory assistant’s overall
l:
Yuga_ninjie Ltd.
m:
Onion Corporation

hahaha... let me try...

Box 1: Probability of white is 0
Box 2: Probability of white is 1
Box 3: Probability of white is 1/2

Probability of choosing random box is 1/3

P = (RB)(B1)+(RB)(B2)+(RB)(B3)
P = (1/3)(0)+(1/3)(1)+(1/3)(1/2)
P = 1/2

Is this correct? 

3.01.2012, 19:45

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

it might be correct, but it might not :-)

I'll give some more time to everybody to take a stab and confirm or disprove your response tomorrow :-)

Who agrees with yuga_ninjie? Who disagrees? 

3.01.2012, 20:04

giekas
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Macedonian Bronze amphora Common amphora of Heraklion
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Macedonian Silver amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Silver bed-clothing Bronze underwear Estonian standard coin
l:
20E12
m:
i.G33K

I hate probability problems Well  - never know how to interpret initial conditions correctly...

I'd say 'B' because this is not exactly Three Doors Paradox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem ...

P.S.
incidentally, aren't we solving your homework here ? Very we! 

3.01.2012, 21:37

Geekrulez
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"

B ?
RANDOM. Its either white or black. 

4.01.2012, 13:23

JustNash
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

giekas
I hate probability problems Well  - never know how to interpret initial conditions correctly...

I'd say 'B' because this is not exactly Three Doors Paradox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem ...

P.S.
incidentally, aren't we solving your homework here ? Very we!

Close, it is actually Bertrand's Box Paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand%27s_box_paradox ...
Although I didn't know that until I clicked your link to the Monty Hall problem :-)

And don't worry, you are not solving my homework (good one :-)) 

4.01.2012, 13:30

Last time edited : 4.01.2012, 13:31

JustNash
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

I was also very much convinced that it was B: 50%. I even had an argument about it. But as it turns out, it is C: 2/3!

To me the easiest proof I've come across was: Imagine an audience of 300 recipients of the boxes. 150 of those will draw a white chocolate first, 150 will draw a black chocolate. 100 will have opened the box with 2 black chocolates, 100 will open the box with 2 white chocolates and 100 will open the box with one of each. Hence, there will be a total of 100 cases where the recipient will draw a second white chocolate out of his box.

100 divided by the amount of people drawing a white chocolate first (150) means that there is a 2/3 probability :-)

Thanks for participating!

Anybody with a new riddle? 

5.01.2012, 00:50

Dutchsmurf
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Let me guess, you are Dutch (actually, I know you are) and have been watching tv over the holiday? Because I remember both the question and answer. It indeed is 2/3 and I fell for it too, thinking it was 50% at first.

The chance of the second chocolate depends on the first chocolate. So you get P (White|first one white). The chance your first one is white is 1/2 (1/3*1+1/3*0.5+1/3*0). Now if you look at the options left, there are actually 3 and not 2 options. You can first pick the white one and then the black one. You can first pick the left white one and then the right white one. And first right white and then left right. 3 options with an equal chance of happening and 2 of them have 2 whites. So it is 2/3. 

5.01.2012, 01:57

Last time edited : 5.01.2012, 01:59

VLLord
Eleven years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Golden amphora of Heraklion Golden bed-clothing Standard underwear
m:
Golden Empire

Maybe the following explanation would be easier for understanding. Using conditional probability formula we obtain:

P(second white | first white) = P(both first and second white) / P(first white) = (1/3) / (1/2) = 2/3. 

5.01.2012, 12:40

JustNash
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

Dutchsmurf
Let me guess, you are Dutch (actually, I know you are) and have been watching tv over the holiday? Because I remember both the question and answer. It indeed is 2/3 and I fell for it too, thinking it was 50% at first.

Nah, I'm Flemish, so please don't insult me like that again Very we!

Just kidding, but yes, I did watch the national science quiz on dutch tv Well 

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> Riddle me this

• Page: