Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> A story of early success

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 12.07.2010, 03:45

blifter
Four years with Virtonomics

It just shows that a bit of persistence pays off. After I started I made the classic blunder of squandering a stupid amount of money on advertising, to no avail.  Setup shop in Riyadh and managed to generate total turnover 18.3mil. Best 7 days came in at 10.3mil Winning the contest for managers with second place only bringing in 1.3mil.  I did need a bit of help speding a couple of points to get my management level up to be able to receive a points prize, but well worth it.
A lesson for all the newbies out there.  This newbie seems to be able to do it, and so should you.
Very we!   

• Page:
Message list:  

12.07.2010, 11:28

bucew
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Three years with Virtonomics

gj m8,
its not very hard to take firs place in at least 1 category at the start, but not everyone is in a position to buy points to get their manager skill to 10. Not so 

12.07.2010, 14:03

Ixnad
Ten years with Virtonomics

Grats! And GJ!Ridiculously 

13.07.2010, 14:02

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

bucew
gj m8,
its not very hard to take firs place in at least 1 category at the start, but not everyone is in a position to buy points to get their manager skill to 10. Not so

It is possible to get there without buying points, but you do need to know what you are doing.
There are many helpful posts on the forum (but without an adequate search function these posts go almost unnoticed), and many players that are willing to help. Sometimes all it takes is one question... 

14.07.2010, 00:27

bucew
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Three years with Virtonomics

Fractal

i found some posts about it, but it was a bit late, there was 1 turn left and i had lvl7 or 8 in manager skill.

And tell me how many beginners know what they are doing (ins and outs of this game), and that they need lvl10 in order to get the prize??? 

14.07.2010, 03:24

blifter
Four years with Virtonomics

If it wasn't for the email near the end of the contest, I wouldn't have realised I wasn't going to in any points.  At least I didn't have to go up too many levels.  I agree, I think it should be clearer that Lvl10 is needed.Looking at the list of winners each day, there's always someone that hasn't made the grade. 

14.07.2010, 09:28

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
m:
Company 2.0

I was going to say the level 10 management requirement is part of the rules for the CM but after a quick look I could not even find anywhere they are accessible in game.
I can't help but think less people would be caught out if it was easy to navigate to the rules page, even if it is just a link to the forum post about it.

@bucew - If new players don't take the time to understand the ins and outs of the game I would suggest they shouldn't get the prize.
It is easier than ever to get to level 10 management using the charts, graphs and info contributed by VLLord, noglues5 and others. If new players don't wish to use all available resources then that is their choice, but it will reduce their chances of winning.

Before anyone says new players shouldn't get penalised for not knowing a hidden rule, try looking at it from the other side.
The points prize is there to encourage new players to be successful, active participants in the game. It is not meant to be a handout. 

14.07.2010, 18:09

bucew

" If new players don't take the time to understand the ins and outs of the game I would suggest they shouldn't get the prize."

well im relatively new, doing very well imo, i have read all the post i could find about ins and outs and i can say that after almost 2 months i dont know lots of stuff.

"The points prize is there to encourage new players to be successful, active participants in the game. It is not meant to be a handout. "

so if a player wins in a category but doesnt have manager skill lvl 10 hes not successful and active participant ???

Just to be clear i missed the points prize, they would be useful, but im not "mad" about it, Im "mad" about realizing i need 10 in manager skill from an ingame mail 1 turn b4 the end of competition. 

15.07.2010, 14:50

m:
Company 2.0

Would a more accessible rule page fix the issues you have with the current system?
I can't think why it isn't more obvious anyway. Maybe participation should require a box to be ticked for "I have read the contest rules". This way everyone would be aware of the requirement so it is not an unpleasant surprise when it is too late.

P.S. I have been playing for almost a year and there is still a lot I don't know. 

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> A story of early success

• Page: