Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk) -> Managing Your Company: How Do You Do It?

Humor, love, politics, economics, culture and everything that is not about tycoon games

Topic:

Topic created : 12.06.2010, 07:53

Last time edited : 12.06.2010, 08:08

Santa Claus hat The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

As company grows, more subdivisions was added and I found myself managing a fictitious business during class time. I am terrified as I watched my company continues to grow. Tears

How do you guys do it? What are your tricks?

• Page:
Message list:  

12.06.2010, 09:37

Last time edited : 12.06.2010, 09:38

ccm_tsang
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics

as one addict to a potential other, i would tell you to

1) stop expanding so quickly
2) maybe grow bigger factories instead of more and have less diversification
3) pick some good stores and stick to them without opening too many more

then, you keep a bit of a lid on how many you need to look at each day.

after a while, things stablizes with the more established subdivisions, including supplies and demand.  then you may want to open more divisions/stores.

it's hard to be patient when you virtual business is booming, and there are lots of things to do/tweak.  but they all take time, which takes away minutes/hours of your real  life.  at one stage, and sometimes even now, i tend to my virtual business at the expense of my real work.  that is not healthy.

good luck, KhOi 

12.06.2010, 10:35

warfreak
Overall of the candidate of science Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Expanding too fast is a BIG problem, because you need to manage more stores and factories. Once all my factories are at their biggest size, I don't need to manage them much bar technology upgrades. You have upgraded far too fast, and as such, you need more hangs on management.

Now, unless I have built up several factories and need to manage a few things at once, the daily is to repair equipment and just make sure my stores have enough staff. Twice a week, check supplies for my stores, make sure there is enough, open new stores to get rid of excess, and once a week, tweak the prices a little.

Of course, for new stores and new factories, there is more hands on stuff, such as with the introduction of Spain and new goods, I have been a bit more active, and replacing machines for higher tech (which is costing me a lot of money, spent over a billion this turn already on machinery) for higher quality goods.

I time spent on this is right after updates, and when I'm bored of other things, so when I need a break, have a look around. I spend about 30 minutes on a big day, about 10 minutes tops for updates where I don't need to intervene. For really big days, about an hour tweaking around and such. 

12.06.2010, 14:50

Last time edited : 12.06.2010, 15:25

yuga_ninjie
Fourteen years with Virtonomics
Six years with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics Belgian chevron Waffle iron Dentist Sandalwood Baobab Sakura Oak
Maple Cedar Elm King of the Fields Golden hook Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor
Management: bachelor Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Steel Dumbbell of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011 participant Bachelor of Virtonomics MBA diploma Laboratory assistant’s overall
l:
Yuga_ninjie Ltd.
m:
Onion Corporation

Hi Khoi,

Glad you found it interesting playing which is nice.

As ccm_tsang said her suggestion is quiet good and warfreak as well. Try their suggest and surely it would work.

As for me, how do i manage my company? This quiet interesting question considering i have 166 entity to look into one by one. Yes, i manage it individual and look each one for any changes i like to implement and order supplies.
Before i'm playing playing full time (8-10hrs a day) in virtonomics as my job doesn't interfere much on playing, but when i change my job from an engineer to programmer/developer it consume much of my time working which i seldom read forum, changes implemented in here which i missed so much.

Now i just play 1-2hrs a day after-work just to manage my virtual company just to relax before i go to sleep and to ensure that all my entities doesn't give me a negative profit/revenue.

The main technique in doing these things is time management. Try to manage your time efficiently and effectively as to not have all your time be consume. Have a warehouse that will deliver supplies to your subdivision and just manage that warehouse to ensure that goods/supplies being deliver to your subdivision. And if you have more time one or twice a week try to look all you subdivision just to ensure that everything is fine.

And lastly, don't be afraid to fail from there you would learn and succeed in the future.

That's all that i could share from my experience.

By the way enjoy playing and have a good education. Very we!

I missed playing here. And glad that many innovation has come. 

12.06.2010, 17:12

Last time edited : 12.06.2010, 22:21

pectopatop
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Three years with Virtonomics
Astronaut boots Nominee of the Mr. Virtonomics 2010 contest
l:
KKompany

Good help on management tasks comes from:
- warehouses
- different reports in game (by subdivs, report for all stocks, by your buyers/suppliers and so on). i'm very close to never go into subdivs to analyze it, reports can give you near all info you need
- if your subdivs aren't highly distributed by countries/regions/cities
- some scripts can provide good help (look such topic on forum)
- personal contracts with other companies, personal deals, game team
- common effeciency of your game/planning

P.S.: that is why i said/say that newbie can have more effective subdivs than top, because he can spend more time for tuning this subdivs. => newbie can have better profitability than top (if we count in % )
Also, if we will counts all currently presented fund for newbies, then .. they have very big chance to compete with top in short time

Surprise! It's easy to be a newbie, than a top. It is surprised Very we! 

12.06.2010, 17:42

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

My routine when I log on is to
1. check laboratory page for labs that need a new assignment or manual clicks to get to the next stage.
2. check main report page. If things are way off from the last few days I look at what caused it.
3. read messages. I generally only stick to important ones (enterprise upgrades, training completed, innovations ending) and ignore the others (price increase, delivery cancelled).

This is generally all I do each day. If there is an obvious problem in a message or inconsistencies in a report I'll go a little deeper to solve it but that is a rarity.

The whole process usually takes 10-20 minutes mainly depending on messages. It is not the most effective way to manage a company, some enterprises are running well below optimum, but it is what suits me at the moment. 

12.06.2010, 19:43

Santa Claus hat The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

Thanks for all the tips guys.
You are as wise as Yoda, glad to have your helps. Well 

12.06.2010, 22:14

Last time edited : 12.06.2010, 22:16

pectopatop
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Three years with Virtonomics
Astronaut boots Nominee of the Mr. Virtonomics 2010 contest
l:
KKompany

P.S.: advice to use warehouses looks funny, if we consider that many newbies and most of tops call their subdivs like "order only by factories" or "no more than 100pcs/subdiv" Very we!
Kh0i, are you use same schemas with your goods on open market? If yes, then - you have a good chance to feel how it's "nice" to be on other side in such deals, and to buy something in big volumes on open market (even maybe for your factories, but just using your distributive warehouse) 

2.07.2010, 04:18

Ixnad
Ten years with Virtonomics

Each turn, I take care of only a few subdivisions, and leave the rest to rot.

Thus my financial report graph looks like new years fireworks.

But I get by fine. Well 

7.07.2010, 22:35.     Subject: i am new. help please

London2010

Hello,

i got my first office but how can i expand and start earning money? 
London2010

8.07.2010, 19:06

Ixnad
Ten years with Virtonomics

London2010
Hello,

i got my first office but how can i expand and start earning money?

Hello, you need to create new subdivisions. At the beginning, there are mainly two kinds of subdivisions that make money: factories and stores. I suggest you to make a couple of small stores, and order some foods and grocery items to sell, so you can make some quick bucks.

There is plenty of resources on the forum and on the wiki to help you put pieces together. The best way to learn this game is "play first and check reference/ask question later".

A few good places to start:

1, The video tutorials: http://virtonomics.com/mary/forum/forum_new/13/topic/100168/view ...

2, FAQ and gameplay principals on wiki: http://wiki.virtonomics.com/index.php/Main_Page ...

3, Take some time and read/inspect each of your subdivision's pages.

4, Other sticky posts in the FAQ forum are very useful too, and you can ask questions here:
http://virtonomics.com/mary/forum/forum_new/13/view ...  

8.07.2010, 23:12

VladTechs
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

It is always good to go to basics. I suppose I'll see the video tutorial one day too. 
"Be the change you want to see in the world."

List of forums -> Free communication (everything except serious game talk)-> Managing Your Company: How Do You Do It?

• Page: