Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports -> Criticism of new format

Suggestions on how to make our virtual business game better and reports about discovered errors.

Voting:  

Do you prefer the old format vs the new format?

Voting duration:

Start: 10.04.2021, 07:54

End date: 24.04.2021, 07:54

Voting is finished
New Interface, New Icons

Old Interface, New Icons

New interface, Old icons

Old interface, Old icons

You have not voted yet

Topic:

Topic created : 10.04.2021, 07:54

MajDiesel
Italy retail leader Power Plants Leader Double corporate chevron Production: bachelor Leader of the retail trade of Sri Lanka The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Philippines retail leader Brunei retail leader Freezer Washer Fitness Tycoon Latvia retail leader Estonia retail leader
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Two years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
l:
MajDiesel Ltd.
m:
Diesel LLC

I have a feeling the few format with its cartoon look is supposed to appeal to the younger crowd and hopefully boost use of this fine game on mobile phone apps. To me, it looks like a gaudy cartoon that belongs in a coloring book, not on a business simulation that is often used in colleges and universities. I have heard grumblings and complaints from players that have been playing this a lot longer than me, and even saw a very respected competitor on Lien pull the plug in disgust: He is liquidating all his assets and has very clearly labelled his clearance warehouses:
"I'm leaving due to strange interface changes and etc."
If that doesn't send a clear message, I don't know what does.  This was a top 30 company with an enormous real-cash investment in this game, and the manager/president said the hell with it. (53 mines, 11 ag farms, 11 plantations along with 25 villas.)
Out of respect for the long time players, efforts should be made to balance innovation with tradition and decor. At a minimum, players should be able to chose to opt out of updates.   

• Page:
Message list:  

10.04.2021, 11:23

Last time edited : 10.04.2021, 11:27

mdmoyer
Small barrel Eleven years with Virtonomics V sign Ancient Asian symbol of peace Double corporate chevron Production: bachelor Haloween pumpkin Frankenstein Mask
Witch Mask World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Two years with Virtonomics
Eleven years with Virtonomics Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Moyer Industries
n:
WindSail Enterprises
m:
Moyer Industries

The new icons are terrible and honestly look less professional for a business game than the old ones. Dare I even say they look more out dated than the old ones did and the use of green is too heavy handed. There is lack of defined edges/lines so its hard to make out what the objects are so honestly the whole thing lookes like a hot color blob mess. Plus since the bar was re-arranged it makes it even harder to find because I can't by memory find the things I'm looking for to retrain my brain the association of what is what which was a REALLY bad move. Also, the communications ones are too light and washed out.

I don't want to sound like a complainer because I've been doing that a bit more than normal than lately but these icons are just awful! I'm all for the game progresses and changing and becoming more than it is. I've even gotten used to the new interface, though there are times I switch to the old interface because information doesn't update quite enough on the new interface its like the data is lagged behind and refuses to update. In particular after you've bought someone else's business unit for example, or if you upgrade the tech level of the unit the supply data doesn't properly refresh to show the quantities are wrong.

But anyhow I'm getting off subject.

These icons are simply awful, horrible, and I'm honestly telling the truth gave me a headache today! 
LifesaverM
CEO, Moyer Industries - Mary and Lien Since GameYr'15
President, Infinity Enterprises Corporation - Lien
<> Discord: LifesaverM#3565

10.04.2021, 14:57

kw2585
Twelve years with Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
Taniocha&Tandeta

The new icons are too flashy to my taste, but more imporatantly I cannot immediately tell what's what. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to it, however to this day I haven't got used to the new interface, so...

I'm not against a little bit of colour, but icons should be useful in the first place, aesthetics should come second. 

11.04.2021, 00:48.     Subject: Bug Report- Ordering on New Format

Last time edited : 11.04.2021, 00:53

fwclassroom208._1
Лидер розничной торговли Сенегала Belgium Retail Leader Power Plants Leader Iceland retail leader Production: bachelor Leader of the retail trade of Sri Lanka King of the gas station The tender collider, IV-VI places
World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Malaysia retail leader Brunei retail leader Washer Netherlands retail leader Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Fitness Tycoon Norway retail leader
Lithuania retail leader Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics Kazakhstan retail leader
l:
Storming Wall Street

I concur that the new format is ugly and hard to adjust to. I get it: I'm old and don't like to change. But even when I make a conscious effort to use the new format to try and learn it, the glitches frustrate the hell out of me.

BIG BUG:  On the supply ordering page (at least ordering for warehouses and I am pretty sure on other enterprises too), when you select an item and the supplier list pops up, the default shows every provider, even those that don't have any available. You have to go to the "ADVANCED FEATURES" and enter '1' in the "AVAILABLE" box to keep from having to search through a list that has dozens if not hundreds of suppliers that either don't have any in stock or are not selling to the general public. To make this work, this needs to be done for every item you pick; there is no memory function to save that option- not even in the same warehouse.

I agree with the critiques of those above about the look of the new icons: awful.  I think kw2585 said it best: The whole purpose of icons in a UI is to make identification quick and easy. Standardized placement only goes so far. Clear, distinct icons are a must. Professional looking ones are even better. 

11.04.2021, 02:00.     Subject: Positive observation about a fairly recent change

fwclassroom208._1
Лидер розничной торговли Сенегала Belgium Retail Leader Power Plants Leader Iceland retail leader Production: bachelor Leader of the retail trade of Sri Lanka King of the gas station The tender collider, IV-VI places
World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Malaysia retail leader Brunei retail leader Washer Netherlands retail leader Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Fitness Tycoon Norway retail leader
Lithuania retail leader Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics Kazakhstan retail leader
l:
Storming Wall Street

To help keep things balanced, there is one positive aspect about the new format that I really like:

In the warehouse module, the color coding around the selling restrictions (RED- Not for sale; ORANGE- Some type of restriction; GREEN- For sale to anyone) is a big plus. It helps scanning through items to quickly see if the items you want protected are restricted or not.

Suggestion: On the "home" page for each warehouse, can a colored dot Ridiculously Here  or Heart be placed next to the sale price of an item to indicate if it is being sold on open market, restricted or not for sale? That would be a HUGE time saver to be able to know that status without even having to leave the opening page. 

11.04.2021, 21:01

Last time edited : 11.04.2021, 21:03

ChrisTekk
Egypt retail leader Belgium Retail Leader Italy retail leader Shock-worker of Virtonomics Kindergarten's Leader Power Plants Leader Double corporate chevron Science: master
Agriculture: bachelor The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Greece retail leader Tenderman
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Freezer Washer Restaurateur Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Medicaster Top Technologist Retail Elite
Fitness Tycoon Five years with Virtonomics Lithuania retail leader Latvia retail leader Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Finland retail leader Governor Spain retail leader United Arab Emirates retail leader Saudi Arabia retail leader Mali retail leader Kuwait retail leader France retail leader
World's retail leader Leader in technologies
m:
EcoTech SE

my 5 cents for the icons: I think there's quite some improvement potential from usability perspective. Colors (and maybe even icons) do not seem to help and guide users for orientation. But rather make the UI appear fidgety.  

Also from a graphics design perspective, the color concept does not make a sound impression.

In general, I welcome a change, and understand things just need to change - just as technology and user habits have changed. So I voted "new / new" - which means even newer. 

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports-> Criticism of new format

• Page: