Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports -> Suggestion: Construction time should be the same regardless of factory size

Suggestions on how to make our virtual business game better and reports about discovered errors.

Topic:

Topic created : 17.09.2016, 18:44

Last time edited : 17.09.2016, 18:45

Jayman
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Nine years with Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, the winner
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, the winner Merchant Medal III level Merchant Medal II level Common amphora of Heraklion
Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the contest of directors in the nomination 'IT-standard' Shagreen, VII-XV places The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Golden Ten Merchant Medal I level Nine years with Virtonomics World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner
Eight years with Virtonomics Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner
l:
Jayman Corporation
n:
Jayman Incorporated
m:
Jayman Rulezzz!

Problem - If I have an immediate need for a factory with 10000 workers I have to build 10 factories with 1000 workers each which takes 10 times as long to manage. Not only does it waste our time, it wastes server resources which slows everything down for everyone else.

Solution - Construction time should be the same regardless of factory size. There is no reason why building one factory with 10000 workers should take any longer than building 10 factories in the same city with 1000 workers each.   

• Page:
Message list:  

17.09.2016, 21:38

Wuvil
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Can't say I agree with this one, in reality a bigger factory would take longer to build than a smaller one.
It would also greatly diminish the value of players selling their old factories.

An alternative perhaps is factory complexes, where multiple factories in one location can be linked together, based on a skill perhaps so it doesn't completely devalue the worth of max size factories?

Also, personally I think most factories simply produce far to little products, which is why we need so absurdly many which leads to this problem in the first place. 

19.09.2016, 01:45

Last time edited : 19.09.2016, 01:46

Jayman
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Nine years with Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, the winner
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, the winner Merchant Medal III level Merchant Medal II level Common amphora of Heraklion
Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the contest of directors in the nomination 'IT-standard' Shagreen, VII-XV places The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Golden Ten Merchant Medal I level Nine years with Virtonomics World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner
Eight years with Virtonomics Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner
l:
Jayman Corporation
n:
Jayman Incorporated
m:
Jayman Rulezzz!

Wuvil
Can't say I agree with this one, in reality a bigger factory would take longer to build than a smaller one.

In real life, does it take longer than building 10 factories each 1/10th the size right next to each other?

An alternative perhaps is factory complexes, where multiple factories in one location can be linked together, based on a skill perhaps so it doesn't completely devalue the worth of max size factories?

If they're linked together it would be the same as having one larger factory which is why I suggested allowing to build a larger factory in the same amount of time. Another alternative is increasing the time it takes to build multiple smaller factories so that building 10 size 1000 factories takes just as long as building 1 size 10000 factory.

Also, personally I think most factories simply produce far to little products, which is why we need so absurdly many which leads to this problem in the first place.

That's the main problem I have. It takes over 20 factories of the largest size to produce enough of one product for my stores. 

19.09.2016, 17:30

Wuvil
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

No it doesn't.
Currently in game building 10 small factories IS faster than one large one, as it should be, a large factory is not simply 10 small ones...
However at the moment large factories lack the one thing real life ones usually benefit from, an economies of scale model where they generally are more efficient. In game the only benefit large factories have over smaller ones is saving several hundred mouse clicks.

No, a complex where you can link facilities together, which includes facilities that are not factories, is not the same, as a complex is often comprised of also different types of factories.
Increasing the time to build small factories is an awful idea, a small factory is and should be quick to build, it is good for new players to have something they can quickly set up, for an experienced player to test the waters, etc etc.

Agreed, output should be increased drastically IMO.

It sounds a lot like, and I support this, an ability to simply tell the game "I am building this factory, and I want you to start building 100 of these".  This would, I believe, also be easy to implement, without breaking existing models too. 

21.09.2016, 02:20

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

I'm on the edge on this one… while 10 factories would logically take less time due to size it's true less time per building.

HOWEVER! Put the square footage for time into factor it's simply faster and cheaper.

A new building all you need to do is putting in the support beams, for existing ones depending on the design it's as easy as knocking down a wall and extending it.

Furthermore to prove the point for the same square footage in smaller buildings say 1000 vs 10000, you would need to build more walls by up to 440%... This means the wall material alone for the 10 vs 1 would kill a 10 building concept from the start. The skeleton of any building is cheap it's the rest that would kill the idea

The math:
1 building:

10 buildings:
31.62*4*10= 1264.8
1 building 1*10 length
(31.62*2)+(31.62*10)= 379.44
1 building 2*5
(31.62*4)+(31.62*5)= 284.58

The last setup is common where I live for non square buildings because of the building cost. Also why apartment buildings are built this way along with many home styles.

In the end I think building a 1000 building takes 5 days where a 10,000 should only take 3x that tops

There's a reason why property owners where I live make bigger houses or buildings only, cheaper or more profitable. Basically making economical non high rise building homes are less profitable for them. Same concept for businesses… if they can sell the 5 1000 square foot buildings to pay 51% of the required 10,000 building needed you'd have to some fool to not do it…

Also big factories irl can start working during construction if needed Tesla’s gigafactory in the U.S.A. is proof of that…

Tell me if Tesla split that building into multiple ones how much more and time would that of taken? Plus different sectors could not exist in said layout. One building can simply move equip multi units would likely have specific purposes meaning production can only start upon completion w/o huge hassles. 

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports-> Suggestion: Construction time should be the same regardless of factory size

• Page: