Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports -> Reason why there is so much bot spam

Suggestions on how to make our virtual business game better and reports about discovered errors.

Topic:

Topic created : 17.09.2014, 15:28

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

I'm actually annoyed at the admins for their "laziness" in spam prevention. If your not up for the task many programmers have created forum software, and many work better than this one...

First issue: registration, you only need a email and password... while this was great in the 90's it's a terrible idea now. I used my prime email and I got no verification email nor did I have to do any anti bot tasks during registration.

2nd issue: while you blocked (or at least until a company is created) the site for new players which is a start, you never blocked them from posting on the forums with their new account till they created a company...

This means a spam bot can out in (prob) gdhdudj37758@djhdhfnrn.com and post anything it wants.

Solution?
1: set up a anti bot prevention system (captcha is usually good enough)
2: disable posting on new accounts till a company is created
3: redo the forum software. Seriously it's broken does not display the newest reply in the sub categories as it should and had the post counts all wrong on the main page...

SMF is free allows sub categories in sub categories. This means you can have Russian and English side by side with no issues and allows easier ability to add moderators which you guys seriously need...   

• Page:
Message list:  

17.09.2014, 16:23

Last time edited : 17.09.2014, 16:23

mort100
Twelve years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics Founder of Makurdi Founder of Ado Ekiti Triple corporate chevron Double corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Governor Leader in technologies
l:
Mo corp
m:
Mo Industries

I guess point 2 wouldn't be necessary if point 1 was implemented.

For administration's effort I think Jane do a solid effort removing spam, but we can't expect her to be online always. I bet those recently added spam posts will be gone pretty soon. 

17.09.2014, 17:41

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

Some bots can either by pass captcha or are manually done using a auto fill and a person filling in captcha. By implementing both it makes it less appealing to spammers.

And I've got full respect for Jane as I'm sure they are the only one who's doing it.

A few years ago I set up a smf forum with no registration required went back one year later it was full of "stuff" and the free host deleted the db shortly after because it as about 1 gb in size and slowing down the server (I knew them) it took 6 months to get "spammy" like here 6 more and it was insane. With current registration method is going to get just as bad, if unchecked we could see ten plus posts then 50.... 

17.09.2014, 22:55

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: bachelor Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Jane need help.  Me Tarzan.  Me help.  Yes 

22.09.2014, 02:32

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

Worse yet, there seem to be SPAMmers using personal messages from inside the game now. Not that we bother to check the links anyway. 

23.09.2014, 15:22

gamerz300
m:
Egg-Roll International

I think whoever has this site set for spam decided to crawl to find the most active or currently active users and spam them directly... I never saw any pm till I was on my p4 where I saw a topic "hi" but when I logged in after the time period expired (day before) it was gone. . So I'm assuming it was spam...

Credit to whoever (most likely Jane?) Was fast at removing them Yes 

6.10.2014, 10:27

Jane84
Witch's brew Bat Head of Frankenstein Witch's hat Ghost Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion Cocktail
Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Participant's tiara of Miss Virtonomics 2012 contest Shamanic Mohawk The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Breadwinner nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Best trade mark nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition The best player of the qualification for the quarterly Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Three years with Virtonomics

Thanks for the ideas. Will add the administration's reply here. 

17.11.2014, 14:13

gamerz300
m:
Egg-Roll International

While we wait patiently (like half life ep 3) they are now attempting to inject html code... While unsuccessful I know I've broken this forum using php incidentally...

I know a lot is going on in Russia right now but still... unless Jane is afk then it's ok. Tho the admin should technically post of they are ;) 

17.11.2014, 19:01

Rogue_Cat
Four years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Six years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Catnipalot
m:
Catnipalot

They simply use copy-paste code for the SPAM posts, and that's what happens. Just be sure not to click any link, as they will generate activity as referal here and most likely will continue to pay more visits to SPAM more. If they links get no attention, it is likely to have their activity a bit reduced (not guaranteed, but they will go somewhere else to SPAM). 

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports-> Reason why there is so much bot spam

• Page: