Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports -> Strange calculation of office efficiency

Suggestions on how to make our virtual business game better and reports about discovered errors.

Topic:

Topic created : 18.04.2010, 04:55

ChrisBerlin82
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I have this office: http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/unit/view/2528988

It has 30 workers (~27 are recommended).
It has 32 computers and 1 is worn out. Since this single failed equipment unit is spread over all equipment, the equipment efficiency fell to 98.9%.

Thus office efficiency fell to 98.9%.

I think doing the calculation in this way is bogus. I have 32 computers and only 30 workers. So if one computer fails there are still enough working computers for the rest of the workers.

Despite the missing realism in equipment (in no way as many computers as fail in this game would fail in a real office) I think the calculation for equipment efficiency in relation to the office efficiency should be revised. 1 failed computer doesn't affect all other equipment and especially doesn't affect workers efficiency if there are enough working computers.   

• Page:
Message list:  

18.04.2010, 07:46

JasonBourneJr
Five years with Virtonomics
Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
JasonBourneJr International

Hi

I disagree with your opinion. Who knows really which computer is affected in the company? It is highly likely that when a computer breaks down it is one which is being used by a employee. That same employee might not have the skills to replace or fix it himself and needs to wait for the professionals to fix his computer so efficiency drops. So in my opinion the realism of efficiency is there. Also it does not have to be a computer, it can be a printer, keyboard, etc... use your imagination, this stuff is always wearing out faster because of "noobs" using the devices. 

18.04.2010, 08:08

ChrisBerlin82
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

Yes, but real life offices, especially large ones with hundreas of employees have IT staff who replace defective parts. I don't know any company here who doesn't have at least 5-10% (compared to overall employees) spare computers so if one computer breaks, there is replacement immediately.

I will show you a little more drastically how, in the game, the calculation works.

Let's say you have 10 workers and 1000 computers. Now with a wear level of 5%, i.e. 50 computers being broken, equipment efficiency will drop and thus also office efficiency since the algorithm doesn't care how many computers there are compared to employees, it only cares what equipment efficiency there is. Yet I think it is close to impossible that with 950 non-broken computers available, 10 workers can't find one to work with effectively.

You can argue that computers wear out overall as well, but that will happen after 2-3 years of simple office work at the earliest. In this game it happens more like in 2-3 weeks which is toally unrealistic and practically requires me to replace 5% of my computers every week. I really think this needs some tweaking.

At least what I've learned for now is that having more computers than employees is absolutely useless and my opinion is it shouldn't be this way. 

18.04.2010, 09:03

JasonBourneJr
Five years with Virtonomics
Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
JasonBourneJr International

Look, the IT staff cannot replace broken stuff within seconds of them wearing down, so there will always be an efficiency drop. Also there is a reason why IT staff are working in offices. The other staff usually dont even know how to turn on their computers, let alone figure out how to find another one to work in.

Why would any company have too many computers anyway? Space for the extra computers is a space badly spent, they get old without being used and it costs money to buy them in the first place. Rather get new equipment when the old breaks down.

I understand your approach to this subject, but I think it is not realistic when you consider the fact that not everyone is a computer genius. 

List of forums -> Your suggestions and bug reports-> Strange calculation of office efficiency

• Page: