Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help. -> a good way to backup supplies in case it doesn't buy?

Here you can learn from the interaction between experienced businessmen and young entrepreneurs. You are welcome to place your questions related to our business simulation game and get the answers from experienced players

Topic:

Topic created : 28.09.2009, 07:21

globeballa
Nine years with Virtonomics
Ten years with Virtonomics
l:
Investors Corporation

Do any of you guys know of a good way to backup supplies in case it doesn't buy? Because lots of suppliers just carelessly let there products run out.. and it has a HUGE impact to my company and my customers. What do you recomend as a backup.. should I just make my own (lets say) glass or alluminum factory? or should I buy 2 weeks worth of supplies for just one update, that way i have a backup set just in case it doesn't buy. Any other ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,

Globeballa   

• Page:
Message list:  

28.09.2009, 08:54

Standard underwear Estonian bronze coin Four years with Virtonomics
Standard bed-clothing Bronze underwear Hockey skates Estonian bronze coin Steel Dumbbell of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011 participant Four years with Virtonomics Overall of the candidate of science Bronze Finnish Lion
MBA diploma Laboratory assistant’s overall

i had same problems...so i established my own production of alluminium and glass to...how much glass do you need? i'm producing 15000 per turn now but it's what i nees...i can upgrade factory if U are interested...let me know 

28.09.2009, 10:14

ccm_tsang
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics

i have found that some suppliers suddenly have 0 production overnight as well, not to mention the other customers with priority above me suddenly ordering a lot more.

usually try to have at least 2 turns' worth of supplies when i can afford it, otherwise buy a bit more than i need and slowly accumulate a buffer.

raw material prices / supply fluctuate quite a bit a well, so building own supply posed a problem as well. 

28.09.2009, 10:28

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Double corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Forest tycoon Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

If you start a factory you may produce more than you can sell yourself in the shops... after a while, quantity increase, so there's less goods to sell in the market.

See first how how well a product sells, then consider buying stock so you have enough supplies for a while; in that time you'll use the profits to build up your own production and replace external supplies gradually. One more tip here is to MIX the goods.. make higher quality yourself and sell in the shops... mix in some lower quality to increase total selling quantity. I think its better to grow the factory slowly, because sometimes demand is different than you expect ( i closed 2 glass factories just last week because even selling at 50/ quality above 1.8 or higher, nobody bought the products.

Resource needing productions: build around independent supplier and feel happy if you find a supplier with lower price... its often just temporary. 

>> be nice and click the "rate" button if (any) user's post was helpful ! <<
"Spending a few millions a day - will take all sorrows away" :-)

28.09.2009, 12:28

Last time edited : 28.09.2009, 12:39

clone_1

Nice to hear this.
Maybe it is time to do WholeSale Business? To "smooth" offers on markets.
All you need is just build some warehouses and have some cash to have ability for buy big volumes of goods. That is all. Oh! And also you need to strongly analyze markets.
My old ore warehouse in Lagos started from the same reasons. But some time later warehouse moves to more speculative trading Well

---
Regards, Eugeny, K and K Corp. in past 

29.09.2009, 05:46

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

turkbostjan
i had same problems...so i established my own production of alluminium and glass to...how much glass do you need? i'm producing 15000 per turn now but it's what i nees...i can upgrade factory if U are interested...let me know

Well my major concern would probably be aluminum. I'm the 3rd largest producer and having unreliable suppliers is a very big hit financially and to my company name. I just have a question.. how much money would i lose on a daily basis if i were to create my own aluminum factory and purchase it from there... would i be alot? Or would it be a very minute cost.

PS: Thanks for the replies!! 

29.09.2009, 05:46

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

3rd largest of cola sorry 

13.10.2009, 06:30

kavidyan
Silver Finnish Lion MBA diploma

This is what I'm doing to overcome the problem.
1. Gradually increase raw materials. My order normally 1.5 times what I need.
2. Source from 2 or more suppliers. My average is 3 supplier per item. You can mix of different quality to increase supply. Like what mentioned by Mico.
3. Learn the art of hedging or guessing. If you are planning to increase your capacity in a few weeks, try to buy more materials roughly 2 weeks before that. You will know if your suppliers can handle your order before you increase your factory capacity.
4. Communicate with your clients and suppliers with PM. This makes things easy because you can workout your plan better.
5. Create your own factory ONLY for items with limited supplier. I realised this requires a lot of startup capital and slow ROI. Plus some factories/suppliers are more efficient than producing yourself (i.e. cheaper). 

21.10.2009, 04:18.     Subject: Play with friends :-)

Last time edited : 21.10.2009, 04:31

Argazzmos
Six years with Virtonomics
Eight years with Virtonomics
m:
Argo

Hello2All!Well
We made a small coalition with my friend, so we do not care about suppliers as much as you Well
So put your friends in game. Many people like that type of strategy. Virtonomics is the much-MUCH user-friendly game in comparsion to other i see.
I am fully agree vith kavityan, starting stock of raw material on your factory/mill should cover 2-3 weeks(game weeks) of autonomy. This time is enough to find a new supplier, send a few PMs... Oh, and communication, off course! Communicate with interesting peoples, with your buyers, suppliers. They should know, if YOUR supplier is going to Gehenna, and you are not produce any goods to him So-so

Sorry for my "Engrish" Oops!

PS Turk, soon i will return my treadmill Production Volume leadership! Very we! 
oO

21.10.2009, 08:59

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Argazzmos, I wold really like to agree with using friend as suppliers, but it doesn't help when you manufacture so many different products. Not EVERY one wants to only supply to you. As long as they get their money they are happy. 

21.10.2009, 17:09

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

The biggest problem with suppliers is that they can't keep up with demand. It is not unusual for each new factory to have several smallish orders, which are then increased within days.

Some of my factories receive ~10% of ordered goods, down from ~80% a couple of days ago. 

21.10.2009, 20:45

Argazzmos
Six years with Virtonomics
Eight years with Virtonomics
m:
Argo

globeballa
Argazzmos, I wold really like to agree with using friend as suppliers, but it doesn't help when you manufacture so many different products. Not EVERY one wants to only supply to you. As long as they get their money they are happy.
Nobody said that he or I live only by the fact, and only in order to maintain the other. All very well is calculated, and the parallel companies, which share the resource-intensive (black hole for money) works together very effective.
We can help each other by buying non-liquid goods from the warehouse for a few overpriced Well

Fractal
The biggest problem with suppliers is that they can't keep up with demand. It is not unusual for each new factory to have several smallish orders, which are then increased within days.
Some of my factories receive ~10% of ordered goods, down from ~80% a couple of days ago.

Fractal, as i said:
Argazzmos
starting stock of raw material on your factory/mill should cover 2-3 weeks(game weeks) of autonomy. This time is enough to find a new supplier, send a few PMs...

But in our times of crisis, 5-6 "stock-living" weeks will be normal 
oO

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help.-> a good way to backup supplies in case it doesn't buy?

• Page: