Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help. -> Newbie's Guide

Here you can learn from the interaction between experienced businessmen and young entrepreneurs. You are welcome to place your questions related to our business simulation game and get the answers from experienced players

Topic:

Topic created : 7.11.2010, 16:43

Last time edited : 9.12.2015, 22:20

erevion
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

==================
...  Before we begin  ...
==================
Below is a compiled list of FAQs that I can think of for starters. In fact, at this time of post, I have only begun playing for about 2 weeks only so most of the questions below were actually raised by myself. Thanks to this helpful community, I got all the answers and additional information accompanied.

The list below will be updated from time to time. Please feel free to raise your questions here. Once they have been answered, I will update the first post with the new Q&A.

For those who are unaware, there is a wikipedia created for Virtonomics and there are many information you can find pertaining to this game. The link can be found at: http://wiki.virtonomics.com/. There are many FAQs in there too.

Wherever possible, please look through the list below before posting your question as there might be duplicates. Thanks! Very we!

==================
...  FAQs  ...
==================
++My First Week of Virtonomics++
Q1) I have just created an account, selected the realm that I want to play in. Now what?
A1) You can choose to accept your rich uncle's gift (A basic setup of your business empire), or to build your company from scratch. For those who like the excitement of building things from scratch (And at the same time learn more in the process), I would recommend that you choose the latter and tweak around as things get bigger.

Q2) What do I do after I have built my office?
A2) You need to employ staff and get a computer equipment for your staff. Also make sure to tweak the number of employee to hire, their salary and the computer equipment accordingly to ensure that you have full efficiency for your office.

Additional Information (Contributed by VLLord)
Better to start with computers quality 1 and employees qualification = required = 1. Don't put workers' qualification higher than required!

On the foot of the main page of your subdivisions there is a link "Work efficiency". It shows efficiency of this subdivision for tomorrow. This link updates every ~15 minutes

Q3) Why is my office not making money for me?
A3) Because it can't. For a start, you might want to branch out towards Commerce field. This is where you construct retail stores, get supplies, and sell them to your customers. Alternatively, you might want to go into Production field and build factories, organise your suppliers, and eventually producing items. These items may then be sold to other players who will then sell these items to the market. If you already have operational retail stores, you may also sell to your retail customers by supplying to your retail stores directly.

Q4) Where is a good place for my store?
A4) Frankly, anywhere is a good place to start a store. For a start, you might wish to find a wealthy country, and place a store in city centre and at 500sqm.

Additional Information (Contributed by VLLord. Examples are geared for Mary players)

Don't start your stores in rich countries(Germany, France etc). Workers' required qualification is very high there. Instead of this find a good market in Africa or Turkey. Sometimes markets there are more profitable, than in Europe So-so

Q5) Why hasn't my supply come?
A5) There are two things to note here:
1. Supplies do not come immediately! You need to wait for a game-week (or a day in real life) for them to arrive. This is applicable for ALL sort of setup (retail stores, factories, etc).
2. When ordering your supply, look out for the Available column from the supplier. Yes, the supplier might be producing 400,000 products a day (represented by All column), but if the supplier has nothing available, you won't be getting any supplies unless your supplier produces more the next day, or to give you priority when distributing the products. In this case, you might want to drop the supplier a note and network with your supplier for a long-term working relationship.
3. You can choose the "Automatic Purchase" option to let the system make some purchase automatically for you. Unlike your usual way of ordering goods, these orders are delivery immediately. However, I personally do not recommend this mode as the profit margin for these goods are usually not very high. You are better off spending the 100k on other things.

Q6) How do I know what are the good items to sell? And by good I mean profitable Not precisely
A6) What would you do in real life if you wanted to open a retail store? Know if your products are unique, and who your competitors are, and possibly what price rate are they selling for their products, right? Similarly, you would want to do the same in Virtonomics. There are extensive functions available to assist you with your market research. For a start, you can go to Game World -> Reports. Select the country/city that your retail store is located at, then look at the different types of products that you want to sell. Pay attention to two things here:
1. Local Suppliers' information
2. Stores' information

The local suppliers in Virtonomics would mean non-player-controlled companies that are in the market. Stores would mean the ones controlled by players.

In essence, you want to have a edge-on over the local suppliers. It could be same pricing but better quality in products. Look through the list of suppliers you have access to, and select your products from there.

Another thing you want to take note is the location of store. Customers shopping in City Centers tend to care more on quality than in the pricing, as compared to customers shopping in the suburb. Also, take note of the wealth index of the country. In rich countries, generally, quality is favoured over price.

Q7) What is this "Work Efficiency" that everyone is talking about? How does it affect me?
A7) VLLord created a thread to help people curb with this issue: The link can be found at: http://virtonomics.com/lien/forum/forum_new/13/topic/100146/view.

Q8) Argh, what's all these "Qualifications" and "Work Efficiency"? How do I link them up? Please paint the big picture!
A8) Think of Qualifications as your 'level' in this game. To be able to deal with large businesses, you need to be of the appropriate level to come in. Which is why your Work Efficiency has to be tweaked in accordance to your Qualifications.

For example, refer to the charts in the link stated in Q7. At Qualification 1 (Q1 for short) for Commerce, how many staff should I hire to gain 100% work efficiency for a retail store, if the required qualification is 3.00? This can be calculated by: (Quality of Staff needed * ((current staff / left column of the chart) ^ 0.5)). In this case: 3 * (5 / 50) ^ 0.5 = ~Q1. You know that you can hire 5 staff.

So you see, if you hired more than that, you might experience a drop in Work Efficiency. Sometimes though, it could be a good thing. For example, if you were to expand your shop to 1,000sqm and hire say 10 staff. You will experience better sales volume (due to increased crowd) despite having lower work efficiency!

Take note that your work efficiency is also affected by your office efficiency! So make sure you tweak them well Very we!

Lastly, you can also do quests to gain more experience in your Qualifications!

Q9) Can you tell me what to do, in a nutshell, if I want to setup a retail store?
A9) First of all, DO YOUR MARKET RESEARCH! Then find a country and set up an office. Staff your office with employee/equipment and then set up a retail store in the city center at 500sqm. Find your supplies and try to stick to one department (Same type of product). Set the selling price of your products and watch your sales grow Very we!

Additional Information (Contributed by VLLord)
How to make market research: open warehouse and choose specialization that you need. Then go to supplies and press green car. Choose avaliable from 1. After you'll look at avaliable goods and prices - close warehouse.

Q10) Help! I'm stuck! My required qualification for my store is 9.0, but if I set my salary range to accommodate to that, I am not able to get 100% work efficiency!
A10) Look up at Q8.

Q11) How do I complete Quest [AAA]?
A11) Read this thread for tips on how to complete the quest in question: http://virtonomics.com/lien/forum/forum_new/13/topic/27495/view

Q12) How much time is needed for me to increase my Qualifications?
A12) Look at this post by noglues5: http://virtonomics.com/lien/forum/forum_new/13/topic/100391/view/m:99902333/#99902333

Q13) Eeeeek! My supplier just went missing! My retail store's operation is screwed....
A13) This is one of the common problems everyone faces when we decide to go Commerce. There are a few ways you can do to work around this, and hopefully, mitigate similar threats to come.
1. Build a warehouse, and stock up on supplies. Direct all supplies from your warehouse to your retail stores. This way, you have ample backup supply to fall back on while you go on search for another supplier, and you don't have to do that for all your stores; just a simple point of contact Very we!
2. Never depend on one supplier! Look around for similar quality-price ratio and play a bit of mix-and-match.
3. Network with your suppliers. Always request for early notifications so that you can make the necessary arrangements.

++My Second Week of Virtonomics++
Q14) Cool... Some of my Commerce and Management Qualifications have improved, and I'm getting a stable income from my retail stores now.. What should I do next?
A14) Glad you didn't give up on this game Very we! From here on, you decide where you want to go next. Logically, since your front-end (retail stores) have a steady stream of customers, you need to work on your back-end (production/supply) now.

One thing I learnt in business is that there is only *this* far you can do for your front-end - You can only lower your price to get more customers. But hey, why not work on the back-end instead? Basically, to increase profit, you just need to lower the cost!

I know there are a few people who might have missed this page out, but this is very, very helpful (especially for beginners): http://virtonomics.com/lien/main/common/main_page/game_info/game_map. For those in other servers, amend the server name in the URL to the respective servers that you are on.

Now, if you study this road-map, you'll realise that I am actually moving from "Trade" to "Production and Research" track. Of course there're other ways to help you earn more money, but I chose this path because you get to get exposed to more things (and learn more things) Very we!

For example: Your retail store is currently purchasing 1500 meat at a price of $45 and you're selling at the price of $120. Why not construct a farm, with an initial capital of around 350k (including staffing and livestock/supply) and start producing 1200 meat at a prime cost of $15? You work the math; usually it's very good ROI.

Message list:  

12.12.2011, 14:05.     Subject: Hello

mikey153
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I've tried this game for about a week now, and already restarted once. I read this forum only today. But found the links to be broken/non-existent. Also the script for the chrome does not load properly. Probably I'm just lousy at it.

I can't even understand the symbol ^. I know * is multiply and / is division. Damn, I have to go through my math again.

Anyway, I now have 3 Stores, 2 Factories, 1 Lab and 1 office - so that makes 7 sub-divisions. And it's a real struggle to get them efficient and profitable.

I now have Management 3, going to 4 soon. The workload requires 21 staff. I always add one more than necessary, and keep the equipment in top shape and quality of employees and equipment as close as possible to the required Q.

I send all staff for training every week.

Does a high quality computer affect the efficiency of the office, if it above 2, and required Q is only 1?

I also have Production 3 now. Does this mean my total staff cannot exceed 300 for all factories?

I have Commerce 3 also. Does this mean my total staff cannot exceed 30 for all stores?

Instead of having 3 stores requiring minimum 35 staff, should I close one down, and get 15 staff for the remaining 2 stores, even though the required staff level may not be 15 for each(likely lower)?

If Lab requires only 5 staff, should I recruit the max 10? Doesn't seem like a good idea. And the Lab Level is really slow at going up Not so

I feel like starting over again, and try to get the Super Manager.

Another issue is I cannot access the Advertisement from my Office - seems the link is broken, and I cannot alter the costs of advertisement for my own products.

What is a good level of costs for advertisement, for a 1000 sqm store selling foodsdtuff only? Spending from between 2k to 20k only got me to above Brand 2 points plus in a week.

Looks like I asked a lot of questions haha... Hope someone can share a bit, thanks.

Mikey153 

13.12.2011, 00:05

Melchior2008
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Bastille Key Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
RoMa Inc.

Hi Mikey,

Computers of better quality reduce the number of required employees for your office, but not by much. But they increase the level required for your personnel, so you 'll have to pay them more. Use low level computers if possible.

Level 3 in Commerce means you can have up to 185 store employees overall without reducing your store efficiency. The corresponding levels and maximum employees numbers are in tables somewhere on the forum. They may have changed a little recently (I still use the old tables).

In the labs, just use the required number of "labsters". But if you don't plan to develop a certain kind of factory to higher levels, labs are pretty useless, since you can buy licences for your factories, or buy factories with a certain level of technology (when they are available).

Factories are not very profitable. Stores are much more, but you have to find the right markets for your products.

There are two kinds of advertisements : for products and for stores. Product advertisement is not so necesseray, while store advertisement is a must. Store advertisement is set at the store, not at the office. But it has an impact on the workload at the office. 

14.12.2011, 22:31

Last time edited : 14.12.2011, 22:34

Timeck
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Five years with Virtonomics

So this is my initial post after about 2 weeks of my registration.  First of all, the support provided by the community is excellent given the demanding learning curve.   The more I play, the more I appreciate the work and commitment from the veteran players here and question the sanity of those who've been playing for years.To you
So I'm slowly developing an understanding and I know that I will always have a reason to come back to the forums.
So back to topic....

I have been kicking myself for investing in a few factories to lower my dependence on other suppliers.  I'm currently developing the supply chain (minus mining and agriculture) for my initial toy factory.  Sales are great!  I'm actually expanding my toy factory because I'm selling more in retail that I can produce.

Going back to labs, I'm scrambling to get my technology up to remotely resemble the quality of the products I'm purchasing from other players in hopes of reducing my prime costs.  It has recently occurred to me that opening up a factory early on is a load on your company that shouldn't be placed until the technology meets the demand on quality in the markets one is trading in.

In my stage of development, buying the technology seems to be a bit intimidating so I'm resorting to labs to ensure a profit every game week.  I also do this to develop my science qualification and to compete in the contest for managers.  The way I see it, I'm using time and lab operating expenses to ultimately save money.  I could spend a few weeks and roughly 30k$ (just being hypothetical) instead of a few million $ to acquire a level 2 tech.  It seems to me that it would be faster ROI even after the many weeks used up for inventing on your own up to par.

You could throw this into the same conversation of doing your own work may take more time than buying a service, but its definitely cheaper!  Just go to the produce department of a grocery store and compare the price/pound of a whole watermelon and a packed tray of cut up watermelons.  I'm assuming this argument applies to technology in this game.

My observation so far is that the only reason to buy a technology is to get said technology in a hurry because you're no longer able to get the needed resources at the right price and quality.  I know I still have much to learn but I want to know what you all think about this observation. 

15.12.2011, 15:28

Melchior2008
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Bastille Key Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
RoMa Inc.

Low level technologies are cheap to buy and introduce to the factories. I would buy some in the short run to avoid waiting too much for the lab to finish research.

Lab research makes sense if you want to expand and have a lot of factories of the same kind and get to a high level of technology. 

17.12.2011, 21:10

lutfia1313

hello everyone Ridiculously

did someone posted a table for fitness center estimation here? To wink 

17.12.2011, 21:17

Geekrulez
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"

lutfia1313

VLLORD said about management qualification. It was said to be the same. 

18.12.2011, 02:46

VLLord
Eleven years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Golden amphora of Heraklion Golden bed-clothing Standard underwear
m:
Golden Empire

Geekrulez
lutfia1313

VLLORD said about management qualification. It was said to be the same.

At least it approximately works for the first several levels, so I hope it's true. 

31.12.2011, 11:21

mikey153
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

First of all, I would like to thank Melchior2008 for his valuable advice.

I've been playing V now for about a month (since 1st Dec 2011). I dare say I'm pretty happy with my progress. I restarted once, but have never looked back since.

Never did get that SuperManager either Not so

But I just broke top 5 in a market and got an achievement pin for it Well

My goal was only 30M in assets for the 1st month, then 3 weeks into the game, I revised my target to 300M, but now it is over 450M.

Had all sorts of problems until I came here and saw the "required top manager qualification level". It sure helped me a lot. 3 weeks into the game, through trial and error, I found that I could get to "Elite" service, and this helped my sales by leaps and bounds. Previously it was all 'Low' across the Store board.

One thing that baffled me was that my efficiency level for my level 5 Production could not get to 100%. It has 2000 workers, and total I had 4000 workers, the latter 2000 was for another level 2 factory. My Production Q is now 6 going on 7. Perhaps the qualification was not up to the mark for 2k workers in a level 5 factory. Hmmm...

I found that higher quality computer (though below the city average staff quality) helped to minimize the number of managers I needed for optimum efficiency and 50-90% workload.

I also found that training helped a lot too. I never let my staff miss any training sessions Well I find their increasing levels of quality help in improving the service levels of my store. And I don't have to fork out extra wages for this increase.

Just got into Cowshed to produce meat and milk - now at tech 2. But it seems that the quality of the forage is only 1 across the board. I wonder if this means I can only buy cows to an average of no higher of Q 2. If this is so, then a Factory tech level higher than 2 (max Q 2.46) would seem a waste, since the end product Q cannot reach its optimum potential even if Factory tech is, say 5 (max Q = 8+) because meat Q can go no higher that 2+ with forage of Q1.

Does my cowshed automatically produce cows too, other than meat and milk?

I wonder if I can buy/build something to produce my own forage, and also research them to higher Qs using my Lab.

I wonder when only a warehouse is seen as a good investment? I have 3 offices across different countries. Should I just buy/build one warehouse, or one in each country/office location?

The stores are really profitable but take a lot of time to analyse the price/demand/supply trends. Over the long term I probably will invest in more production - though i hear it is less efficient/profitable since I would need to constantly up my Production Q Levels, and it takes much more (thousands) of workers + wages as compared to Stores which are more profitability with much less staff + wages.

Current Qualification:

Livestock -2

Marketing (advertising) - 8

Science research - 2

Production - 6

Commerce - 7

Management - 7

I'm still learning everyday, and hope you guys can give me some tips.

Thanks and best regards,

Mike 

1.01.2012, 12:05

Last time edited : 1.01.2012, 12:06

VLLord
Eleven years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Golden amphora of Heraklion Golden bed-clothing Standard underwear
m:
Golden Empire

mikey153
Just got into Cowshed to produce meat and milk - now at tech 2. But it seems that the quality of the forage is only 1 across the board. I wonder if this means I can only buy cows to an average of no higher of Q 2. If this is so, then a Factory tech level higher than 2 (max Q 2.46) would seem a waste, since the end product Q cannot reach its optimum potential even if Factory tech is, say 5 (max Q = 8+) because meat Q can go no higher that 2+ with forage of Q1.

You may buy your own grain farm and produce grain of much higher quality. But even without own grain supply, higher technology level will provide higher quality of output.  

mikey153
Does my cowshed automatically produce cows too, other than meat and milk?
Only if you choose appropriate specialization.

mikey153
I wonder if I can buy/build something to produce my own forage, and also research them to higher Qs using my Lab.
Grain farm, but it costs game points (read real $$).

mikey153
I wonder when only a warehouse is seen as a good investment? I have 3 offices across different countries. Should I just buy/build one warehouse, or one in each country/office location?
Usually warehouse is a waste of money, but it helps to simplify the supply chain and reduce the # of clicks. 

1.01.2012, 17:37

mikey153

Thanks VLLord,

think i saw somewhere that it costs at least 25 points to buy one grain farm with soil Q4 or something like that, meaning at least >$27 dollars Not so. Does soil Q4 translate to Q4 forage, or is something else involved in the equation?

Specialization on the Cow, got it thanks!

"You may buy your own grain farm and produce grain of much higher quality. But even without own grain supply, higher technology level will provide higher quality of output. "

Yeah, but not knowing what the multiplier is, and somehow I feel that it is not that great. I mean with Cow at Q2, can I get meat above Q3 if my Cowshed Tech is 3 and above?

Mike 

1.01.2012, 18:59

giekas
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Macedonian Bronze amphora Common amphora of Heraklion
Thirteen years With Virtonomics Macedonian Silver amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Silver bed-clothing Bronze underwear Estonian standard coin
l:
20E12
m:
i.G33K

mikey153
Yeah, but not knowing what the multiplier is, and somehow I feel that it is not that great. I mean with Cow at Q2, can I get meat above Q3 if my Cowshed Tech is 3 and above?

As an example, I'm using Q2 chicken and Level 13 tech.
Output is Q8.29 meat.
Considering that chicken meat has 20% quality bonus, cowshed with similar stats should produce ~Q6.63 meat.

P.S.
this New Year's vacation period put me off track - it's possible that I've been using Level 12 tech when this meat was produced... 

2.01.2012, 07:05

mikey153

giekas
mikey153

As an example, I'm using Q2 chicken and Level 13 tech.
Output is Q8.29 meat.
Considering that chicken meat has 20% quality bonus, cowshed with similar stats should produce ~Q6.63 meat.

P.S.
this New Year's vacation period put me off track - it's possible that I've been using Level 12 tech when this meat was produced...

Wow, that is great! My sausage factory only produces Q of 6+ on tech 5, on meat that is Q5+. So I was kinda thinking that if my meat was Q2, no way it could go to sausage Q8.1 (tech 5 factory). Probably the multipliers/bonus are not the same for different products.

Time to experiment Well

Thanks

Mike

5.01.2012, 20:44

Last time edited : 5.01.2012, 20:44

Melchior2008
m:
RoMa Inc.

VLLord
Usually warehouse is a waste of money, but it helps to simplify the supply chain and reduce the # of clicks.

I find warehouses very useful and not that costly So-so It helps reduce micromanagement a lot. When your company grows, it matters. 

29.01.2012, 08:09

mikey153

Hi guys,

I have a question. If I used the option to have 25% less Q for forage, does this mean I can have cow Q average of 2.66 on forage Q1? As in (2.66/2) x 0.75, since Q of forage must be at least 0.50 of Q of cows? Does it work this way?

Thanks in advance,

Mikey 

5.02.2012, 11:02

Jane84
Witch's brew Bat Head of Frankenstein Witch's hat Ghost Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion Cocktail
Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Participant's tiara of Miss Virtonomics 2012 contest Shamanic Mohawk The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Breadwinner nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Best trade mark nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition The best player of the qualification for the quarterly Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Markets Storm
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Three years with Virtonomics

mikey153
can have cow Q average of 2.66 on forage Q1
Yes 

List of forums -> Questions and answers. Help.-> Newbie's Guide