Create your dream company in the global economy game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics" -> People killing store prices

Discussions on our virtual business game, your ideas and game mechanics

Topic:

Topic created : 15.12.2015, 00:45

windps
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Three years with Virtonomics

I'm assuming others have the same thing, but I do my research go into a very low or none occupied area, 3-5 game updates later one or more people are in there with higher quality items selling about 1/2 to 2/3's the price and most times below local suppliers. Not only does it kill any profit I can make, I don't see how it maximizes anyone else's, or how people can jump right over me in a few days when I put what I think is a good amount of advertising (maybe too much). I keep my stores elite, some are "Best in town".

Why would you go 25-50% below local suppliers and everyone else with higher quality goods? Doesn't this really kill the economy/profit?

Anyways, this is a rant I've had in my head for awhile, seems I just do all the work and everyone runs in. These are not tender areas. I also suspect that given I don't have point bought farms and mines (I can't make mine own which is fine) people use the sales to see who has a good market and then come in....I've had that happen more than once. Very cheap IMO. But because points are nearly impossible to get with all the tender players, I guess i'm stuck in this annoying cycle.   

• Page:
Message list:  

15.12.2015, 01:00

Last time edited : 15.12.2015, 01:00

TyStuFF
Five years with Virtonomics
Jewelry Loupe Waffle iron Santa Claus Santa Claus Santa Claus Père Noël Père Noël Père Noël
Père Noël Père Noël Joulupukki Joulupukki Joulupukki Olentzero Olentzero Olentzero
Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Julebukk Julebukk Julebukk Julebukk
Sinterklaas Sinterklaas Sinterklaas Ded Moroz Ded Moroz Ded Moroz Tovlis babua Tovlis babua
Tovlis babua For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Santander Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Founder of the city Rhodes Winner of the Industry Competition in the 'Government procurement' nomination Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health
Five years with Virtonomics The winner of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

But as you may realize it's a game full of people with different perspectives and all have a different approach on the things they do. I think the majority of players have a serious lack of economics knowledge, they just want their market share, some money and fun.

I think you mainly should ask yourself how you can defend your spot in the game. Probably there are several things about the game dynamics you might not know yet, but can seriously help you perform.

For example when I look at your subdivisions page, I see quite a bit of small stores, while bigger stores automatically attract more visitors. 

15.12.2015, 01:47

Last time edited : 15.12.2015, 01:52

windps
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics

When you say bigger you mean add more departments to one store? Or the size? I was under the impression that one division was better. Might help my Qualification too as I would have a higher workforce in Single stores. 

15.12.2015, 02:36

TyStuFF
Five years with Virtonomics
Jewelry Loupe Waffle iron Santa Claus Santa Claus Santa Claus Père Noël Père Noël Père Noël
Père Noël Père Noël Joulupukki Joulupukki Joulupukki Olentzero Olentzero Olentzero
Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Weihnachtsmann Julebukk Julebukk Julebukk Julebukk
Sinterklaas Sinterklaas Sinterklaas Ded Moroz Ded Moroz Ded Moroz Tovlis babua Tovlis babua
Tovlis babua For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Santander Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Founder of the city Rhodes Winner of the Industry Competition in the 'Government procurement' nomination Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health
Five years with Virtonomics The winner of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

I mean the size of the store, it really helps. Also with restaurants, medical centers etc. it helps to attract more visitors, even if you don't fully staff them.

The only downside of changing the store size, is a temporary drop of popularity which will resolve over time.

Also you can play a bit with the advertising budgets, a few millions instead of just regular TV budget can have huge effects. But you would need to watch out it doesn't demand too many store employees, or overloads your office load. 

15.12.2015, 02:47

Jayman
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Nine years with Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, the winner
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, the winner Merchant Medal III level Merchant Medal II level Common amphora of Heraklion
Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Quality label
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the contest of directors in the nomination 'IT-standard' Shagreen, VII-XV places The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Golden Ten Merchant Medal I level Nine years with Virtonomics World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner Shagreen, the winner
Eight years with Virtonomics Broker-Yard Tournament Prizewinner
l:
Jayman Corporation
n:
Jayman Incorporated
m:
Jayman Rulezzz!

windps
Why would you go 25-50% below local suppliers and everyone else with higher quality goods? Doesn't this really kill the economy/profit?

You're right it kills profits but I think many people don't realize you only need slightly lower prices to get large sales. I usually sell for at least 3x local supplier price which is still below average when adjusted for quality. 

15.12.2015, 03:19

Wuvil
Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics

That is people who often don't care about getting the most profit as possible out of something, they may for instance get the products very cheap due to owning farms or mines etc, ignoring the fact they could earn more by simply selling it to other people wholesale.

I myself have contacted some doing that, most ignore me, a minor few did change their pricing somewhat, some are needlessly insulting in their replies or think I am trying to scam them..., and a fair few don't understand english I suspect.

These people rarely have large volumes though, (though it does happen), when the volume is not too large simply getting a bigger store (m3) and good advertising will effectively, more or less, let you ignore the small volume sellers.
In cases where they sell large volumes and have large market share, unless you can convince them that earning less money than they would on wholesale is a bad idea, not much you can do there I think.

Do note, In some cases purposely selling at low prices may be beneficial for winning Tenders. 

15.12.2015, 05:00

windps

One thing I've found if i'm all alone and someone starts up a shop, even if they don't sell much, if the price is way low my sales go down and I need to lower my prices a little bit to get growth back even though the local sales are 80% or more. Like i said though, I find that good balance between volume, profit, and growth. Some one sells 5-10% right away super low and screws me all up. Par for the course I guess. Hard to compete with Q10-Q20 when someone comes in for half the local with Q30-Q45.

I almost always sell over local if I am alone or just a few small time shops....and I get volume. It is slower growth though.

One thing I've never been able to figure out is the population vs. advertising. If you have 200k in a city does it do much good to have over 200k contacts? So am I just wasting a Million? I guess I could experiment and watch the popularity, but isn't popularity a combination of factors?

TyStuFF
I mean the size of the store, it really helps. Also with restaurants, medical centers etc. it helps to attract more visitors, even if you don't fully staff them.

Also you can play a bit with the advertising budgets, a few millions instead of just regular TV budget can have huge effects. But you would need to watch out it doesn't demand too many store employees, or overloads your office load.

I will try those things, thanks. To wink 

15.12.2015, 11:48

windps

Wuvil

Do note, In some cases purposely selling at low prices may be beneficial for winning Tenders.

Yeah, these aren't tender spots i'm talking about. If I understand the tender change, they made it so you don't have to show a profit? Makes it all that harder for everyone else to not bottom out if a tender hits your city. 

15.12.2015, 14:56

Mike1
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Парауапебас Thirteen years With Virtonomics Founder of Badagri Founder of Acharnes Coupe du Monde Russia soccer ball Portugal soccer ball Belgium soccer ball
Croatia soccer ball Argentina soccer ball Brazil soccer ball France soccer ball Swedish profile Ingvar Kamprad Order Biology teacher Biology teacher
Biology teacher Biology teacher History teacher Physics teacher Literature teacher Ladybug Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten
Silver Ten Founder of Peristeri Founder of Osogbo Golden hook V sign V sign V sign Double corporate chevron
Mandarin duck For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Founder of the city Jalingo Founder of the city Lafia The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places
The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places
The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner The tender collider, the winner
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places
World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, II-III places World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner
World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner World Cuisines, the winner Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, the winner
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Enugu
Egyptian nemes Japanese hat - kasa Founder of Piraeus city Russian ball Brazilian ball Ball of Netherlands Ball of Argentina German ball
Macedonian Golden amphora Common amphora of Heraklion Cocktail Suitcase Air passage Rubber ring Apollo in nephritis Doomsday Calendar
Ritual Drum Shamanic Mohawk Mayan Jade Mask Standard bed-clothing Standard underwear Hockey skates Estonian standard coin Cast-iron Weight of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011
Astronaut helmet Princely mansion Landowner Leader in technologies
m:
Mico Inc

its possible that a player who sells at a price to low isn't aware of it. You could always send a link of that store by pm to the store owner asking to reconsider consider an adjustment. 

15.12.2015, 17:54

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
One year with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

yes, some players price every item in their vertically integrated manufacturing business at prime cost. Then they can make "ludicrous" profits in their stores at ridiculously low prices.

There are some players that sell stuff in stores at prices that are lower than wholesale prices. They are oblivious to the fact that could get more at less effort/cost. Or even worse: they would be better off selling their basic materials or even semi-materials on the wholesale market than use them to produce whatever they're producing.

For some products/markets, this is bothersome. But what are you going to about it? Focus on improving what you can change and be strong enough to accept what you cannot change... 

16.12.2015, 09:48

m:
Sirenevy`j bul`var

Give ma cars plz for the great start  
http://virtonomics.com/mary/main/unit/view/4038381/sale ...  

16.12.2015, 10:43

windps

JustNash

There are some players that sell stuff in stores at prices that are lower than wholesale prices. They are oblivious to the fact that could get more at less effort/cost. Or even worse: they would be better off selling their basic materials or even semi-materials on the wholesale market than use them to produce whatever they're producing.

I agree. I've started producing much more than I use too, it's less time consuming than stores and you just sell on the open market. Store pricing and adjusting take up soooo much time. I am capped out on animal farms and factories for now, I will have to wait for next level. Not precisely 

27.11.2019, 07:17

deekster
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Two years with Virtonomics
Two years with Virtonomics
m:
able 1

I say nuffin. 

List of forums -> Main forum of the online business game "Virtonomics"-> People killing store prices

• Page: