Multiplayer tycoon game for real business leaders!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Lien -> Advice on Agriculture

Announce your offers, look for new business partners in our business simulation game

Topic:

Topic created : 24.10.2012, 08:15

NgurahBagus
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Two years with Virtonomics

Hi all,

Not that I'm going to do it anytime soon, but if I would to start up (or buy) an agricultural farm, what should I produce?
I'm thinking either wheat or sugar, but both of them has independent suppliers. I'm also thinking rice, but it doesn't have many uses, unlike wheat or sugar Very we!

A second consideration would be where on earth (Lien) should I make it.

Any suggestions? Hypothetically, of course Very we!

Cheers,   

• Page:
Message list:  

24.10.2012, 11:37

JustNash
Twelve years with Virtonomics Jubilee Ten Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Macedonian common amphora Common amphora of Heraklion The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!"
One year with Virtonomics
Основатель г.Хасселт Jewelry Loupe Founder of Carcassonne Twelve years with Virtonomics Belgium soccer ball Traskor Swedish standard Viking helmet
Dalahast Deer horns Ingvar Kamprad Order Mathematic teacher Compass Festive glasses Jubilee Ten Silver Ten
For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, VII-XV places The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, IV-VI places World Cuisines, VII-XV places World Cuisines, VII-XV places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places
Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places
Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places Shagreen, II-III places
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons
Platinum sponsor of the Contest for Tycoons Founder of the city Sikasso Macedonian Silver amphora Bronze amphora of Heraklion The winner of the Industry Competition The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition
Three years with Virtonomics
l:
Premium Brands
m:
Premium Brands

I haven't researched them, but I'm guessing cotton and/or tea leaves might be interesting. 

24.10.2012, 12:56

NgurahBagus
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Two years with Virtonomics

JustNash
I haven't researched them, but I'm guessing cotton and/or tea leaves might be interesting.

Any particular reason? 

29.10.2012, 15:20

Last time edited : 29.10.2012, 15:22

narancasta
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics One year with Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Two years with Virtonomics

Cotton is always in high demand, either as a raw material or processed in cotton cleaning factories. On Mary, you can sell it for almost any price, not sure about lien, but the demand for everything seems even higher here.

Another good option might be to buy either a sawmill (wood sells for +2000$ and furniture buisness is highly profitable) or a herb plantation for medicinal production. Fish also seems a better point investment than wheat and sugar. 

31.10.2012, 22:56

gamerz300
Masking mustache Panda Panda Mandarin duck Mandarin duck Honey Barrel Merit for the Uzbekistan of level I Seven years with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
Seven years with Virtonomics
m:
Egg-Roll International

I would do Gold, My other choice would be Wood Sure Gold runs out but you produce more per round then wood.

Now Gold lasts about 2+ years at the lowest option (as in you leave all options alone) producing about 3900 per
Now Wood lasts forever (i guess) and produces 2500 per but costs 1 game point more (went with the second land size to compare production and cost)

The above is Quality 1 since it is the widely used one for both.

Gold Price: 20000 - I personally know it sold very well at 9000 per a year ago.
Wood Price: 2000 - since its unlimited use it would only take a small force of people to do what your thinking of to put it into a cheap market yet again. Not saying it will happen or any time soon.

Now im guessing gold you can build shafts after buying it? you used to be able to choose the number of shafts you wanted... But lets say you play this game for 2 years then quite. Gold assuming it stays the same price (assuming wood does too) Gold theoretically will make you (selling at 12000) 30.5 Billion more in cash then wood. At current prices of wood vs gold it would take nearly 19 real years for wood to make you the same money as gold did in 2.

Granted only down side with gold (next to running out) as of now is the huge outlay of workers and drills but good thing is equipment costs are the same or less and you can train your workers to be fairly cheap. I have not taken into account the running costs of either division as i dont own them and just simply pointing out selling price. Also i know for a fact 4000 is a low production number and if priced right will sell very fast. Also if you decide to go with gold or wood ignore the people who actually spend the time to type a message to you about how your price is too high and request you to lower it, i personally had this for diamonds a lot of the time. This is esp true if your making money on the price and/or getting sales at it. Remember one thing its not always profit if you break even with either one and gain a nice inventory (esp Gold) you can either shut down the subdivison and collect pure profit for a few turns or when it runs out you will reap the rewards then

I know for a fact that if you price any high demand item right it will sell fast reliably and give you a very nice profit for as long as the demand is there for your price range and quality or for as long as you have the item. I have been buying gold for the past 3 months (rather ironic considering i provided it at about 300K per round) at 9000 till recently for processors and i was making a good little bit of money off of them. Reason i stopped was not the 24000 dollar range, it was because my quality of the item was not explaining the cost (lowered my profits, but was still making a fair amount), If i spent the time to increase tech and trained my workers i would buy gold at even 40k a pop, as i know i would still make money from the bonus of producing with gold. If you do gold dont be surprised if you get hoarders or Watch factories. 

1.11.2012, 04:41

NgurahBagus

narancasta
Cotton is always in high demand...
(SNIP)
Another good option...either a sawmill...or a herb plantation....Fish also seems a better point investment than wheat and sugar.

gamerz300
I would do Gold...(SNIP)

Good advice everyone! Unfortunately, as the title said, I'm interested in agricultural farms, so I'm really not into sawmills, fishery, or mining. Although, sawmills are indeed a nice suggestion, as it apparently shares the same qualification as any other production.

I guess I would probably go after cotton. I believe there's a discount sale of several cotton plantations in Lien!Uzbekistan. Herbs are good too, I suppose. Apparently the price of spices are quite outrageous?

I seem to remember that there exists somewhere of a calendar or some sorts that shows the growing stages of agricultural products, for example, for cotton, between months such and such is seeding, and then growing, and then harvesting. Has anyone found anything like that? 

2.11.2012, 10:55

Last time edited : 2.11.2012, 11:04

NgurahBagus

NgurahBagus

I seem to remember that there exists somewhere of a calendar or some sorts that shows the growing stages of agricultural products, for example, for cotton, between months such and such is seeding, and then growing, and then harvesting. Has anyone found anything like that?

Never mind, I found it. It appears in Step 4 (Select a city) when creating a new Agricultural Farm. It's good to know where we currently are in the growing season before actually making one. Also good is the fact that you don't have to pay a single point just to find this information Very we! You only pay when you actually create the subdivision.

Anyway, cotton and/or herbs. Both sound like good ways to go. Any thoughts from anyone else? 

2.11.2012, 19:17

narancasta
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics One year with Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Two years with Virtonomics

Depends on what industries you already have running and where are you headed. Clothes stores, underwear and bedlinen factories -- go for cotton. If you're already active in medicine and you have some of its production branches already, I'd definitely go for herbs. If you're able to supply your own hospitals, you can make hundreds of millions off every single one every turn, at least on Mary, but I don't see why it would be any different here.  8 of my hospitals and 2 health centers on Mary create one billion in profits. 

6.11.2012, 05:04

NgurahBagus

narancasta
Depends on what industries you already have running and where are you headed. Clothes stores, underwear and bedlinen factories -- go for cotton. If you're already active in medicine and you have some of its production branches already, I'd definitely go for herbs. (SNIP)

I have none of that running Very we! However, I am planning on going the diverse route of Foodstuff, which is why I originally wanted wheat. Unless I'm severely mistaken, practically all Foodstuff has their root in wheat: sausages, milk, meat, bread, flour, eggs, etc. can be traced to wheat. A pig farm can even make leather, from where I could then branch out to clothing or even furniture, and simply with wool from a sheep farm, one can made fabric, from which it's possible to go into both clothing and toys industries.

Certainly, Foodstuff doesn't bring in gargantuan profits, but the big number of products relying on wheat as their base requirement surely means that there will never be a lack of buyers?

Of course, there's the fact that wheat still has an independent supplier...

If I'm going to get an herb farm, I'd probably rather use it for spices. I don't have much luck in the Services sector. I'm sweating as much as the (ten or so) people in my fitness centers I roll! 

6.11.2012, 14:07

narancasta

I roll! I know what you mean. Though I have to say all the sweating (and sinking huge amounts of money into services) is finally starting  to pay off for me now, mainly in the form of winning virts through tenders.  

Unlike the all-work-and-no-pay fitness centers, medical buisness is highly profitable. Even diagnostic centers make more than decent money, and if you have the resources for hospitals, health centers and dentists, you'll be filthy rich in no time. The latter three require consumables based on herbs, though, which are either not avilable for purchase or in very limited quantities. Even if you don't want to run medical instituions yourself, you can produce and sell natural medicine for significantly more than spices. Drugstores are also among the most profitable stores, second only to jewelery stores selling quality art and bronze decor.

Forgot it originally, but cotton is also needed for hygiene products - another great profit maker. 

7.11.2012, 09:24

NgurahBagus

Mm, either way the medical services industry seems like a complicated web of requirements. It appears that aside from needing herbs, you will also eventually need cotton and minerals.

I'm still leaning towards wheat, as my production line almost exclusively rooted on that one single product. However, I will probably branch out to cotton and maybe even sawmills. I understand sawmills actually uses Production qualification rather than Mining or Agriculture?

A second consideration is that I'm not ready to branch out of my starting country (Russia). I'm not sure why, exactly, since I'm not even from near there Very we! In (no longer Soviet) Russia, wheat and wood is widely available resources. If I'm ever going to go for cotton, I think I'll jump over to Kazakhstan. Maybe. 

List of forums -> Lien-> Advice on Agriculture

• Page: