Create your dream company in the global economic game!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Archive -> Comments to the announcment about the changes in business model

Promotions, partnerships, buying and selling businesses, products and services from business game entrepreneurs Virtonomics. Archive Forum.

Topic:

Topic closed

Topic created : 2.10.2009, 16:21

Last time edited : 8.10.2009, 17:22

JuleBCN

MEN
I’ll try to give a more detailed explanation to why we’ve decided to stop the relatively-free business-mode of the game. I won’t say much about technical reasons like the need of unified standards of work in different markets and concentrate mainly on economical reasons which are understandable to most of you.
The decision to stop Free-to-Play mode was hard for us and we tried to delay it for as long as possible, as we tried to apply some action which would help us to provide economical efficiency of Free-to-Play realms and avoid such radical measures. Unfortunately, we couldn’t succeed and below I’ll give a more detailed explanation. The understanding of impossibility of Vitronomics development on the basis of relatively free game-mode became finally clear about half a year ago and can be explained by the following reasons:
1. Vitronomics is quite a hardcore project which is strictly applied to its niche, which leads to the limited amount of its potential audience in comparison to most of other typical online games.
2. This specific character of the Vitronomics determines a much lower “website visitor – registration – active player” conversion (this is where the difference between the 500 000 of registered users and the amount of current active players takes place), which naturally determines a rather high price of attracting one active player. And this number is relatively invariable.
3. The “active player – payer” conversion (a “payer” is a player who has bought at least one game point within the whole game period) is standard for most of the free-to-play games, the particular number is 10-20%, although the understanding of a “payer” is different for different projects. In 2009 this index in the Vitronomics is minimal despite of the appearance of new paid services like artifacts etc. It might be explained by the economical crisis.
4. Every attracted player needs 3-4 months only to fulfill the advertising expenses for his/her attraction.
5. The average period of a player active presence in the game is 4-5 months, and by the 4th or 5th month has payments become close to zero.
6. Considering that for now the expenses for attracting clients are not more than 50% in the project’s expenses structure, it’s not hard to count that the project’s income is far from covering its expenses. Very far.
7. Where in this model is the room for increasing efficiency of the project? The efficiency of attracting clients? – Yes. If we are speaking about the industry rates and acceptable periods – the maximum is 10-20%, that is for how much it is possible to lower the cost of more or less target clients. The rate of optimizing is approximate to the rate of the growth of advertising costs. The percentage of players attracted via “100 friends” and partners is no higher than 7% so far, but we keep developing our partnerships. Speaking about the “registration – active” conversion – its rate has increased. There appeared quests and other features. It has increased from 10% to 15%. The period of a player’s active presence in the game has also increased thanks to quests and other features again. Within the last year it grew approximately from 3.5 to 4.5 month. There are still many things to improve, including gameplay which will give us the rise of efficiency by some percents but not by times. And the latter is what we need.
8. The main sourse of income for Vitronomics is the increase of paying players amount while keeping the average month payments the same. Throughout the year the Vitronomics has faces quite many changes aimed at the solution of this task. Among other innovations there appeared the possibility of creating government enterprises, artifacts, additional features in personal office, new payment systems etc. However, not any of these innovations separately or in complex with others has given an increase for “active gamer – payer” conversion rate. As I mentioned above there is a graduate decrease in this conversion’s rate.
9. Some time ago we conducted a research (in the Vitronomics and also in some other friendly projects and businesses). One of its results made us draw a conclusion which might seem questionable, but also quite obvious. This conclusion is valuable for me now, because it is not just speculative, but is statistically supported and experienced by myself in my work with Vitronomics. Shortly it can be defined as follows: “If a person has a choice between paying for a service and getting it for free, but with the quality reduction and some restrictions in 85% of cases he/she will opt for the latter”. The price (1$ or 10$) does not greatly change the percentage. And the subjective estimate of the fair cost of a new service varies a lot among the payers. If to keep the same offer the same group of people the percentage of choosing the second option increases. So, in dynamics the effect is cumulative.

There are two main reasons for this kind of behavior:
a) The existence of the choice between to pay or not to pay itself. Humans are lazy and do not tend to make an effort without any strong need. The need to choose is already an effort, not speaking of the payment procedure itself and the moral tension when parting with money. And in most cases the price itself does not really mean anything.
b) The “crowd effect”. That is “if the majority uses this service for free why would I pay for it?” And, as people tend to embroider the motivation for the action or its absence, the reasoning of the refuse to pay normally is quite dramatized – “principles”, “unfair game” etc.

These two factors together give us a psychological barrier of change of group behavior which is very hard to overcome.

The only way to change the group behavior   is to eliminate the possibility of choice.
Besides, there is another factor, not that fundamental, but quite tangible considering the amount of money that we lose. At the moment there is the whole business of reselling accounts and other “assets” parasitizing on the game and depriving the project of serious money. Used and upgraded companies are massively resold to new players by the users who do not want to play any more or by those who specializes in collecting companies of the people who leave the game. This phenomenon has recently became quite popular. Many accounts have already changed more than a few owners. Sa a result, there is a decrease of payments by new players. However, I repeat that despite the significance of this phenomenon and direct damages which it leads to, it is not the main reason why we decided to stop the old business-model. The main reason is described above.

Why the free-to-play mode is working and economically reasonable in other games? This kind of model can only be reasonable for mass projects where the critical amount of users is quite easily achieved and the cost of attraction a client is much lower. The amount of payers and the period of active playing is comparable to Vitronomics’, although the average period of active playing in many games is higher than such period in Vitronomics and reaches the number of 9-12 months. Besides, the costs of maintaining and developing an average online game in the same language segment is often much lower than the same costs for the Vitronomics.

• Page:
Message list:  

2.10.2009, 17:14

globeballa
Nine years with Virtonomics
Ten years with Virtonomics
l:
Investors Corporation

Agreed. This gives me alot more info on why u guys chose to do this. thanks. 

2.10.2009, 18:37

Ian68

That is a very good explanation of why you need to charge for the game, but it does not explain why you have set the price so high.

Is your intention to try to convert free players to paying players or is it to try and make the free players leave the game? 

2.10.2009, 19:47

Last time edited : 2.10.2009, 19:50

MEN
Four years with Virtonomics
Six years with Virtonomics
Fifteen years with Virtonomics
Fourteen years with Virtonomics
n:
Men S. V. Ltd.
m:
MEN Ltd.

Unfortunately, now we can not differentiate the price of the game for people of different regions of the world. Especially for the English version of the game. According to our estimates, we set the prices are acceptable to the English-speaking market in general. In the future most likely will be the difference of tariffs for different language versions of the game. For example, in the near future we will release more Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese version. Rather, for the Chinese version of the game, tariffs will be other, more appropriate solvent demand of players speak Chinese. I hope that in the foreseeable future there will be Turkish, Philippine, Thai, Indonesian version of the game and their prices will be consistent with the level of effective demand in these regions. That is, we can now differentiate prices on linguistic grounds, but not on regional. MARY at the moment we are trying to focus on European and American consumers.

PS sorry for my bad English 

2.10.2009, 23:54

coffeeaddict
Seven years with Virtonomics

This helps me understand the change. But I still don't think, even with your detailed explanation, this is a fiscally sound move.

If only 10-20% of players pay at all, that means that by switching to a must-pay system, you lose 80-90% of players, then, right? Some may decide to pay after all, but then again, some paying players might decide they'd rather not play a game where you must pay or else you'll be deleted. But regardless, with a loss of this many players, the game is essentially destroyed - it's entirely reliant on players to make it interesting. As much as I like this game I really don't expect this new model to work. I can't afford $5 a month - Maybe $5 a year for a little advantage, but I can't make any commitments.

I will have to leave the game, then, and I'm not alone unfortunately. It's just a such a shame to see it go down like this. And even if money was no object for me, I don't think I'd keep playing anyways - it's too depopulated, even already, to really be much fun.

I think for Mary at least, if I were in charge, there are a number of things I would do before resorting to this - for example, fix the English with the help of a native speaker, fix the erratic update outages or make them update after the server problems immediately (I know for a fact this is reason why a great number of of players haven't purchased points) , give this server the same kind of things there are on the Russian servers, add special events or promotions that are unique to geographic regions, or maybe even add new countries (ex: China, USA), something that spices up the game and make it seem always fresh and interesting, as opposed to a one-hour per day little browsergame. Maybe even trying to appeal to people who like to play the game for fun (and have an interest in business) instead of purely business types that are less apt to play games.

The game just has a very tangible feeling that it's not finished, that it's only partway done and is only in the beta stage, like any day now the entire game may just cease to exist and the home page will return a 404. There is a lot of work to be done before this kind of idea would work, in my opinion, on this particular server.

If you really chose to go through with this - booting most old players and trying to find a new market - good luck, I guess. Tears
I'll be googling around for a new game to get addicted to. 

3.10.2009, 05:56

Golddisk
Twelve years with Virtonomics

Please sign the new petition to try and show Virtonomics we want their game to stay free!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/VirtonomoicsF2P/ ...  

3.10.2009, 08:07

Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Three years with Virtonomics
Four years with Virtonomics Golden Finnish Lion Golden Finnish Lion MBA diploma
m:
Company 2.0

I can't help but think an explanation like this at the time of the announcement could have prevented a lot of the animosity from upset players. Laying out the logical reasons behind the decision helps us to understand and reduces the emotion driving our responses.

I'd also like to point out the reaction you are getting from players isn't completely bad. Would we all be reacting like this if we didn't love the game? I don't believe so. 

3.10.2009, 09:53

Last time edited : 3.10.2009, 09:55

Graq

The whole problem seems that you went into this project for the money without thinking it through. This whole psychological mambo-jumbo about players choosing not to pay for your service seem to have been pulled out of some second-grade inconclusive study with a lot of speculation on the side.

You should rather ask why most players are reluctant to pay the $8 and face the ridiculous new payment system that you have implemented?

I play a lot of online game and I happily pay their fees--because I feel that these companies really want to offer their players a good product, service, and healthy and competitive play environment.

What have you done? 

3.10.2009, 18:41

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Graq i would strongly disagree with you. This is a GOOD PRODUCT. This is a HEALTHY COMPETITIVE PLAY ENVIRO. It just needs a little tweaking. The fact that we have to pay is disappointing. But this is a good product and I am 100% sure they will make it more advanced. 

3.10.2009, 19:30

hafeezi
Eleven years with Virtonomics
Twelve years with Virtonomics
l:
Ali Amat A. Ltd.

I would agree with Globeballa. This is indeed a good product and also one of a kind. You can't find a game like this anywhere online. Period.

Just that for now, the value of the money that we spend in order for us to keep playing seems very small as the game still have little to offer. The team just have to add in more features, options and offers that eventually will give more value to every penny that we pay into the game.

With that being said, I will remain with the Shareware Realm with $5 per month in game points. I definitely can't afford the Subscriber's realm. For now, the team just need to focus on giving more incentives to players with better offers and features to make it more appealing and, worthwhile for paying players to stay with the game.

Thanks for reading 

3.10.2009, 23:02

Standard underwear Estonian bronze coin Four years with Virtonomics
Standard bed-clothing Bronze underwear Hockey skates Estonian bronze coin Steel Dumbbell of the Mr. Virtonomics 2011 participant Four years with Virtonomics Overall of the candidate of science Bronze Finnish Lion
MBA diploma Laboratory assistant’s overall

the only problem is that now when everyone will be buying points there will be plenty of mines and that the problem...the market of natural resources will be overcrowded

what about that? 

4.10.2009, 04:26

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Yeah thats a real concern. Although I do not own any sort of mine since i have never bought any game points before, I can understand what you mean. I really think that alot of us have to work together as smaller groups. You know, like buy eachothers products and in return buy their products. I think this will generate more revenue to those currently losing rev's. And as a whole virtonomics group we should try and lower prices on products. Therefore giving more leeway for pricing. As of right now, cola is not doing so well as the first avail supplier stands at 606$. That is wayyy to expensive. But turkbostjan, having more mines is also good for others. Like myself. Since there will be more supply of nat resources to make glass and allum. it will make the prices go down significantly. Lets see what happens? And lets hope that what happens, happens for the best! 

4.10.2009, 15:58

MegaMogul
Eight years with Virtonomics MBA diploma

The prices of natural resources need to come down and the availabilty of them needs to go up. Players buying mines and agriculture enterprises would be a good thing IMO. The current system promotes "gouging". I have a silica mine that produces 4+ silica for less the $4. The best I can do on the open market right now is $42! The state sells it for $85! You can't produce a product that you can sell very much of for a profit with resources at those prices. 

4.10.2009, 20:10

Ian68

MegaMogul
The prices of natural resources need to come down and the availabilty of them needs to go up. Players buying mines and agriculture enterprises would be a good thing IMO. The current system promotes "gouging". I have a silica mine that produces 4+ silica for less the $4. The best I can do on the open market right now is $42! The state sells it for $85! You can't produce a product that you can sell very much of for a profit with resources at those prices.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough mines at the moment. I was planning to buy a small amount of game points and have a try at mining myself, but this announcement has made me change my mind. 

5.10.2009, 00:21

globeballa
l:
Investors Corporation

Yeah. I think with the addition of this payment stuff. That hopefully everything irons out. 

5.10.2009, 19:03

Cojones33

I am trying the pay version for a 2 months and see how it goes and it is a surprisingly intriguing game.

One huge gripe already - you claim the game to have an "Englsh version" which for the most part is true, and not so its unplayable.  

Why is so much of the content still written in foreign squiggles - like the paying up bit!

I think it is Russian, but there is still so much foriegn text making it less than easy and friendly.  I would have to say that if you are going to charge for the game, you are going to need to polish up this section of your webpages as the mix of languages looks cheap and amateurish and certainly not professional and not worth the money. 

List of forums -> Archive-> Comments to the announcment about the changes in business model

• Page: