Create your dream company and become a tycoon!

Play Business Game!
Русский Українська Español Deutsch
Login Password Sign Up / Login Forgot your password? English
Search
virtonomica

List of forums -> Lien -> In Flames We Trust – Corp Thread

Announce your offers, look for new business partners in our business simulation game

Topic:

Topic created : 17.06.2015, 05:37

Last time edited : 11.05.2016, 15:23

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: master Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
Nine years with Virtonomics
l:
Consolidated Transnational Corp (CTC)
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

In Flames We Trust – Corp Thread (Lien)

Welcome to the In Flames We Trust corporation thread! In this thread the corp will be discussing all sorts of things.

If you’re not part of the corp, don’t worry! You can read the thread or post in the thread as well.

In Flames We Trust will try to hold most discussions here. For any discussions that need to be super top secret (maybe when we’re trying to win a tender), we’ll retreat to PMs. But we’ll be discussing things out here that would usually be kept behind closed doors.

Thread Index:
Topic
Page
In Flames Glossary
Restaurant Qualification Project
16/17
Discussion: Sharing paid resources and virt stock market
19/20
Auto Repair Teamwork Project
Reference: Political Project Listing
Market Domination Project
Bee Project
Reference: How to make $$

Active Members (19/19):
Name
Company
Title
Project Leader
Tender Status
G_Money33
President
Admissions, Restaurant, Mrk Domination
Desolation72724
Bjorn Enterprises
Deputy President
Tenders/Contests
gberdine
gberdine Industries
Vice President
Auto Repair, Bees, Research
Jayman
Jayman Corporation
Tenders/Contests
Wonson
Wondime
Tenders/Contests
Sulaco
Weyland-Yutani Corporation

houc
htb International

mort100
Mo Corp

Seawerst
Seawerst Limited

paradokss
paradokss Trejd

JamesKroger
Kroger Corpor

Rob_B
RB LLC

TheSponge6
The Sponge Inc.

AdRome
Roma Honora

TyStuFF
TyStuFF Ltd

sulll
skulll sdBD

viperfire
viperfire Corporation

Nikoliil
Niko Enterprises

Nitron1
Nitron International

Tender status: 1) Participating in tender action 2) mainly not participating but will provide resources 3) not participating at this time

Honorary Members:
mdmoyer, Moyer Industries, Honorable In Flames member; Member Infinity Enterprises Corp
giantkin, Giantkin Inc, Honorable In Flames member
windps, Wind’s International, Honorable In Flames member

Former Members:
BlackTree, BlackTree
Abbots, Abbots Incorporated
Enlight, Ahmed Enterprise   

Message list:  

17.06.2015, 05:39

Last time edited : 8.06.2016, 16:42

G_Money33
History teacher Buriti palm Watering can Production: master Snow Leopard Nine years with Virtonomics For contribution to the development of Virtonomics Merchant coat
Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Pupmkin Mask Vampire Mask World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Princely mansion Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Forest tycoon Miner Helmet
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Glossary

Super Chicken Experiment – gb’s master plan to combine chicken blending, potatoes and his ingenuity to make his mark on the raw poultry market

Mongolian Retail – arrive en masse with an army of sales people, pillage the market, move onto the next

Horizontal Diversification – adding new production lines in more profitable businesses regardless of relevance to current company business

Fat Lust – A feeling one gets when they’re onto something big

Dirt Cheap Sheep – Q2 sheep for noobs (or corp members) available for $1 each

Tender Troll – “that guy” that consistently beats you and makes you always come in 2nd on tenders

Lovely Lovely Cash – mucho profits from new endeavors that give you the chills

Completely Decimate a Location – “I may come through riding my steam-roller, and sporting some nice sun glasses, all while grinning from ear to ear.”… ummm, I think that explains it

Retail Outleter – A player who has the patience of a monk needed to sell product through a store network and who will also retail your product for you for a cut of the profits

Reverse Integration Process – First produce an end product while buying supply from others.  Then start building the supply chain backwards.

Hyper-bourgeoisie Activities – For example sinking $100m in yachts while the small children of the world go hungry

Snob Area – Trendy neighborhood / fashionable district of city

My head is about to explode – What happens to Wonson when a questionable business idea is put forth

Weyland-Yutani – A fictional megacorporation from the Alien franchise (Charles Bishop Weyland.  Sulaco=Bishop?  Hmmm…).  Also made an appearance in Firefly.

Cost is King – “Quality is not important, I believe price is key to success here” 

17.06.2015, 07:21

Gendalf04
The crown of the French empire Wild beehive Honeycomb Honey Barrel Shagreen, VII-XV places Merchant Medal III level Winner of the Industry Competition in the 'Government procurement' nomination The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics One year with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
l:
Kuku Industries

Well, not that I'm silent, just don't want to embarrass myself with my english too often ))

Been in this game for 2 month for now... Loving the slow pace of it, it isn't addictive but still satisfying and fun to check in everyday!

For now, concentrating on clothing department, with a fat lust towards business clothes Very we!)) ( it can change after recent huge distribution of cotton farms) In the long run, eyeing up furniture production, but that is a very distant future I guess.

Thanks for taking me aboard. In any case, you guys can count on me if help needed in any kind of teamwork (tenders or shaking up the realm and make some noise) Very we! 

17.06.2015, 08:05

Last time edited : 17.06.2015, 11:09

Wonson
Seven years with Virtonomics
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
Four years with Virtonomics
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

Hello everyone,

About diversification theory, it's not mine and I don't have any strong feeling about it, just got the idea that it might work better in virto than in real world. You know all my corporation colleagues on Mary are educated people with lots of theories, and we are discussing business strategies together, and they do not approve my ways completely. One of the reasons I started on Lien was to test the idea using a brand new and undecided company.

So, this new company has really no goals, no ambitions in any specific industry, only collecting money. In short this is what I have planned to do:
★ Manufacturing whatever that sells well, no long term production ambitions.
★ Buying/sellimg raw materials in bulks and for fair prices.
★ Regional wholesale of branded consumer goods. Short-term contracts (30-90 updates) are preferred.

So, the company is ready to process orders of other members if profitable enough. No plans to do a lot of trading, neither stores nor services. But I have to grow the qualifications to some levels anyway. 

17.06.2015, 15:32

gberdine
35mm film SLR camera Polaroid Film camera Vintage camera Yellow rose Camping backpack Soccer ball
Toucan Holmes smoking pipe Jubilee cylinder Musket Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Nation's Health Five years with Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
m:
gberdine International

I have adopted one strategy that Wonson suggested: building factories for High Cost Items at the point of retail. That method avoids Customs duties which can be a large fraction of Prime Cost for big ticket items with high production costs. Also, the high labor costs do not matter much for big ticket items. The cost of purchasing these items for my stores is actually cheaper from the higher cost of production factories, say in Monterrey, than in my low cost factories in China.

Fuel: I just jumped in with the bundle offer, though I came in at the end rather than the beginning. I decided to build my own Fuel Equipment. I decided that it was cheaper to buy the high Q minerals and make LED's (I already have my own high Q Silica) than to buy the LED's.

What have I learned?

1. You cannot change the size of your gas station, so plan carefully. Build too big and you will depress the market over time. Equipment is available at reasonable cost (I am selling higher Q equipment at lower cost than many). The number of customers seems related to the size of the gas station, and the quality of the equipment. I am not sure that the quality of service affects the number of customers, but it likely affects the maximum price you can sell a certain quantity for.

2. Diesel: You should check out the government procurement option. I am selling to government procurement at higher cost than I can sell at most of my gas stations. I have continued to sell Diesel at my gas stations for political reasons.

3. Fuel Oil: I started out being a low cost wholesaler to others with power plants. I dipped my toe in the water by building a power plant in Hefei. A benefit is that it can you on the Governor's council so you can see what is happening at the region level in politics.

4. Oil Power Plants: The equipment is a large expense. I am in the process of building my own, but you need Titanium and Q10 steel. I can make the steel, but the Titanium is very expensive ($4000+) from 100. I am working on the Titanium side. I have been able to sell my Equipment at a small profit, so far, but it will go better when I have full control of the production cycle. I cannot tell at what level damage to equipment the efficiency is below 100%. I am waiting until efficiency is adversely affected before repairing. The smallest plants have only 1 Equipment and the next size have 5. Efficiency is affected in other buildings with 10 equipment when damage is around 1.09%. Does it scale to the number of buildings?

5. Selling Power: Take a look at the regional power grid option. I think that is where you will get the best price for your electricity. If you sell at a lower price than the maximum, you can help the region budget as well.

That's all I have on Fuel so far.

If corp members need animals, I produce Q2 animals every turn, so let me know what you need and we can work something out. The sheep on Lien are very high right now. 

17.06.2015, 15:40

G_Money33
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Gendalf04
For now, concentrating on clothing department, with a fat lust towards business clothes Very we!)) ( it can change after recent huge distribution of cotton farms) In the long run, eyeing up furniture production, but that is a very distant future I guess.

Gendalf, the corp can probably help you with both initiatives.  You've picked two high margin areas, nice!

Feel free to engage other guys in the corp on this thread regarding the stuff they'e posting.  We'll keep throwing ideas we have about the game out here first and discuss; later we'll get into big projects/action items.  That isn't to say you can't get tender help immediately.

G
Ridiculously 

17.06.2015, 15:45

G_Money33
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Wonson
You know all my corporation colleagues on Mary are educated people with lots of theories

W, this is the place to share business theories that may translate to the game.  That could drive really good discussion.  I know sometimes I view this game as too much of a rule based computer program and forget to think about broader business/economic theories that may apply and make the experience more rewarding.  I still don't know what 'horizontal diversification' is (and I'm too lazy to google it haha).

G
Very we! 

17.06.2015, 15:50

G_Money33
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

gberdine
I have adopted one strategy that Wonson suggested

So he is good for something I roll!

gberdine
Fuel... What have I learned?

Great information gb!  Hopefully this will start a good fuel discussion within the corp among member who ventured into fuel (I have not at this point).

gberdine
I produce Q2 animals every turn

I also have Q2 dirt cheap sheep if anyone has a need

G
Yes 

18.06.2015, 20:17

Last time edited : 18.06.2015, 20:24

Sulaco
Shagreen, VII-XV places Seven years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
Five years with Virtonomics
l:
n:
EDEN Corporation
m:

Recently I am conducting research in the field of mass retailing of products like food and grocery.
i set up an experimental store in Guadajara (Mexico). The experiment is the following:

I got annoyed by the immense amount of micro-management which the food and grocery retail require, so I tried a different supply and sale "system".
Previously I ordered products daily from suppliers, which needed a lot of micro-management and modifictaion of things like sale price or supply volume due to the changes in the market. Now I one-time ordered a huge stock of goods (10 million bread etc) enough for 1-2 weeks. This way my store will always sell the maximum soldable volume of the products, however it will ruin the market on the longterm, due to my large market share and the sthrengthening of local competition(40-50%).

I don't know which retail policy is more effetive, but what I can see is that my store in Gudalajara is flourishing and I saved myself a lot of time and effort on the cost of ruining the market on the longterm. This experimental retail method is pretty much the same as what the Mongols did in Europe in the middle of the 13 th century. Just arrived with an army pillaged the countries and moved away. This is the same. Just arriving with huge stocks, dumping the market, then move away to an other market giving time to regenerate for the original market.

What do you think of this?
Do you already use this kind of retail policy?

By the way I just started my production of art decor. I calculated with a wholesaler price of 2,5 million and a retailer price of 3,5-4 million when I bought my 3 gold mines from the reward of the "contest of directors".
Anyone who is willing to retail it?

Oh and I forgot to mention that I have an agricultural farm (1000 ra) which I don't need, so I can produce you a lot of high quality (7-10) wheat for free if you want. 
"Building Better Worlds"

18.06.2015, 23:00

Last time edited : 18.06.2015, 23:03

Wonson
Jubilee Ten Bronze Ten Bronze Ten For contribution to the development of Virtonomics The tender collider, IV-VI places The tender collider, II-III places The tender collider, II-III places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places
World Cuisines, IV-Vi places World Cuisines, IV-Vi places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Shagreen, IV-VI, places Shagreen, II-III places Eight years with Virtonomics
The winner of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania
l:
Wondime
m:
Wondime

yes i do mongolian retail a lot. the costs of marketing and relocation are usually worth it imo.

i am interested to try some art decors for 3 months, and i want them to be delivered DDP in US if you don't mind. after 3 months i will stop retailing totally.

i will pay $300 for wheat(10.00) if you are interested. we can adjust the price for deviations from that quality.

please wait until other members also express their preferences. Maybe you can find a better customer.

thanks for visiting our corporation, please come again. 

19.06.2015, 01:19

Sulaco
Shagreen, VII-XV places Seven years with Virtonomics Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Week of perfect Service The winner of the Storm of regions nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination Tender mania Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination of Consumer Goods Winner of the Leaders Contest in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods
Five years with Virtonomics
l:
n:
EDEN Corporation
m:

I am a member :-D
You can get the wheat for 1 $. I don't really care about agriculture. However you must wait the next harvest, because I got the farm in the contest right after the harvest season, so my warehouse is empty. 

19.06.2015, 06:07

G_Money33
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

Sulaco, welcome to the corp!

Last one in will be Nitro.  He left his last corp and has to wait 2 weeks to apply.

And you guys crack me up with some of the terms you are coining.  So, I’ve redone the 2nd post to be a corp glossary of sorts.  Assuming we keep the dialogue going, I’m sure I’ll have more to add.  Check it out. 

20.06.2015, 08:18

Gendalf04
The crown of the French empire Wild beehive Honeycomb Honey Barrel Shagreen, VII-XV places Merchant Medal III level Winner of the Industry Competition in the 'Government procurement' nomination The winner in the nomination Your Way to success of the Industry Competition
The winner of the Standard of Virtonomics nomination of the Industry Competition Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics One year with Virtonomics
One year with Virtonomics
l:
Kuku Industries

I see that "Mongolian retail" in business terms has real life examples. For instanse, Apple and Sumsung dominating smartphone business with Q99+ products Very we! and then market tries to catch up with them, more affordable prices and quality constantly improving.
Same thing happening in virt. make the game more dynamic, so no player can milk the cashcow on the same spot indefinitely ))
For me it's only option of making decent $. If I try to grab less than 15% of market share, there will always be another competitor who will dilute the market.

GMoney, nice funny glossary. Keep it updated. 

20.06.2015, 09:35

mdmoyer
Small barrel Eleven years with Virtonomics V sign Ancient Asian symbol of peace Double corporate chevron Production: master Haloween pumpkin Frankenstein Mask
Witch Mask World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Two years with Virtonomics
Eleven years with Virtonomics Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Moyer Industries
n:
WindSail Enterprises
m:
Moyer Industries

While I'm not a part of your corp, I thought I would chime in. I employ two distinct strategies for the game. One of which is the pillage and run method you have been speaking of above. I can't tell you how much money I made off of the Netherlands when it was introduced years ago. I setup stores, bulk shipped goods from my warehouses around the globe to serve them locally and spammed the country for months. Then as more people came, and prices fell, I closed some stores, left a few and moved on.

On the other side I still have stores I started the game with. While my sale prices may have gone down, so has my cost of production over the years, and my tech has of course increased. There is always income I can count on and predict this way so I can jump on those risky ventures and not care if I land of my face every now and again, nor will they ever destroy my business. 
LifesaverM
CEO, Moyer Industries - Mary and Lien Realms
President, Infinity Enterprises Corporation - Lien

20.06.2015, 13:53

Last time edited : 20.06.2015, 13:55

G_Money33
l:
m:
G_Money33 Ltd.

mdmoyer
I employ two distinct strategies for the game. One of which is the pillage and run method you have been speaking of above

mdmoyer, thank you for visiting the corp! Feel free to drop in any time.

Glad you to hear you are also a successful Mongolian Retailer. Looks like Gendalf is too. I had not even really thought of this strategy before, very interesting. Kind of like a combination of leveraging market research, opportunistically jumping on good opportunities and new markets, and relieving yourself from micro managing high volume low margin stores. This will make markets more efficient and more quickly erase competitive advantages gained by market knowledge. I find it very interesting. One could argue it "ruins" markets, but on one hand it more rapidly makes them worse for other players and on the other the total action drags the market and local suppliers forward to a better place (for the virtual little people who live in the computer anyway To you ). 

20.06.2015, 23:49

mdmoyer
Small barrel Eleven years with Virtonomics V sign Ancient Asian symbol of peace Double corporate chevron Production: master Haloween pumpkin Frankenstein Mask
Witch Mask World Cuisines, VII-XV places Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor Mayor
Mayor Mayor Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
The winner of the Leaders Contest in the "Fuel Rivers" nomination Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination "Knowledge is power!" Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Consumer Goods Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics Two years with Virtonomics
Eleven years with Virtonomics Triple corporate chevron Production: elite Science: bachelor Management: bachelor Shagreen, VII-XV places Mayor Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Raw Material Base
Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination Trade Turnover Winner of the Contest for Managers in the nomination The Standard of Virtonomics
l:
Moyer Industries
n:
WindSail Enterprises
m:
Moyer Industries

Yes there are of course many schools of thought and one of the things I like about this game is it's many elements of realism. I do go into new markets with the intent of making some lovely lovely cash, but I try not to completely decimate a location. My work will have an outcome on the market prices and quality expectations but there is usually room for others to survive. Depending of what I'm doing it can mean its harder or sometimes easier for smaller companies in the long run. In the end I don't run on absolutes, and it's a game so I try to not be a total [insert flavorful word here] when pillaging a new area.

It's kinda funny because I work with lots of folks, am very friendly, and generate products for newbies in my areas where things are business a usual. Just look out for my current "targets" as I may come through riding my steam-roller, and sporting some nice sun glasses, all while grinning from ear to ear. LOL 
LifesaverM
CEO, Moyer Industries - Mary and Lien Realms
President, Infinity Enterprises Corporation - Lien

List of forums -> Lien-> In Flames We Trust – Corp Thread